8274 re-build ?

Les Brock

The brass bush that's on the main shaft/brake assembly etc ....

Know where I'm on about ?... :unsure:

Well I take it the bush is supposed to be a tight push fit into the casing ? then you fit the seal in etc ,well mine goes right through with zero effort :o

the main shaft flops around in the centre of the bush, but the old seal is a tight fit so I cant see the hole is to large in the casing

The gear has taken a gouge out of the casing, the bush IIRC needs to sit into the hole slightly or this will happpen ?

Before I go and spend £60 on a top service kit...just for the flamin' bush and seal am I doing something wrong ?

The brass bush that's on the main shaft/brake assembly etc ....

Know where I'm on about ?... :unsure:

Well I take it the bush is supposed to be a tight push fit into the casing ? then you fit the seal in etc ,well mine goes right through with zero effort :o

the main shaft flops around in the centre of the bush, but the old seal is a tight fit so I cant see the hole is to large in the casing

The gear has taken a gouge out of the casing, the bush IIRC needs to sit into the hole slightly or this will happpen ?

Before I go and spend £60 on a top service kit...just for the flamin' bush and seal am I doing something wrong ?

Seeing the number that broke or played up today, best to sell it or scrap it Les. Get a decent winch, not some aged, out dated, overweight, inefficient hunk of wanna be boat anchor

The phosphor bronze bearing on the brake shaft is available from PG winches at around £13 IIRC, I just bought one for a rebuild. I have a couple spare if you want me to post one? - they are probably better than yours, i.e. they need to be pressed in

Lewis :)

Seeing the number that broke or played up today, best to sell it or scrap it Les. Get a decent winch, not some aged, out dated, overweight, inefficient hunk of wanna be boat anchor

so what sort of winch would you go for? oh I have that la supertrux bumper on the front of the Vitara

I don't think anyone went away from Saturdays event with something that did not need to fixed. even the marshals had problems with winches or smoking batteries.

great day out James

& thanks for the hot F&C Jim, I hope Barney was not too muddy :lol:

so what sort of winch would you go for? oh I have that la supertrux bumper on the front of the Vitara

On a Vit - M8000 or an XD9000. Better yet lower price, reliable as a reliable thing and pull like a mule on heat - EP9. T-max are bloody good too. Avoid any of the GEW/AEW/KEW/Britpart stuff as it's just not reliable enough. Champion are getting better and better - very pro-active company but I haven't abused any recently.

Best electric winch on the market at the moment pound for pound/speed/reliability/weight/cable capacity/CE rating/non modded - EP9.5/EPi9.5

I don't think anyone went away from Saturdays event with something that did not need to fixed. even the marshals had problems with winches or smoking batteries.

great day out James

& thanks for the hot F&C Jim, I hope Barney was not too muddy :lol:

An 8274

hundreds of people aren't wrong

just because one person thinks they aren't ideal.

easily rebuildable/upgradeable and retain value yr in yr out.

An 8274

not sure whether an 8274 would fit on the bumper he's on about, but i could be wrong.... :blink:

Not wanting to argue Tony, but it's not just one who thinks they aren't ideal. Okay I am a minority on this forum - but not an individual. The 8274 is a good winch, when it was originally designed back in the early 40's it was revolutionary.

My arguing days are over - too much else to do in life. I just like to point out that like many other things that are 'de rigour' in the off road world, the 8274 is getting long in the tooth and is now out classed by un-modified products, the same could be said for ARB lockers, OME springs, the Rover V8, Simex ET2's, live axles etc

It isn't a snipe at personal choice or the decision where to spend money, nor is it a reflection on skill.

Part of my income comes from servicing winches for folk, part of my income comes from testing winches and part of my income comes from teaching people to use them safely. I use a lot of different types of winch in a year, I break a few and I fix a few. I have my views on what I like and it's based on my experience. I don't preach but I like to have my fair say - freedom of speech and all that. I have been using 8200/8274/Bellview types for well over 25 years and I love them for thier exentricity but they are an old design that, when you take the red specs off need a lot of maintenance when pushed to the limit. They are also heavy and innefficient and bloody expensive.

Saying an 8274 is the be all and end all without trying the rest is like only ever driving one make and model of car all your life, or like marrying your childhood sweatheart at 17 and staying together until DDYP. It's sweet but rather sad...

Winch biatching at its best ! :hysterical:

8274 = old/nasty/flamin easy to take apart and put back together/front to rear swapability/fast/but slow to stop :lol:

reliable....to a point till you start thrashing the pants of them, and given the amount in service thats not that many ;)

PTO...Tried that did'nt like the not being able to drive assist (and yep I know you should'nt) shaft driven, pain to get it working just right

Hyraulic.....great but a pain to install, but I believe will be the future...I'll prob be dead though by then :D

Dave......How much for Lantra training(you know what I mean :unsure: )...PM me...just something I fancy doing ! :D;)

Right chaps don't mind me

Ding Ding.....round 2 :lol:

let the biatching continue ;)

I think that HH is right in a way about it being down to personal preference about which winch you want to use . Its like buying coffee you choose the one you like and is most suited to you .

But the 8274 has been around for ages and personally I dont think any other winch manufacturer has come along with a simple easy fix design such as the the forementioned .

And after the tests of time (some 30years or more ) it still shines in the majority of off road situations .

Ok it was designed to take a 2.6hp motor but as things get more demanding it is now being forced to take 6 and upto 11 horses through it and admitidly it does suffer with the extra strain , but new soulutions are being made all the time to uprate the reliabilty of the drive train of the winch , such as the tried and tested uprated shafts from Gigglepin whos records to date suffer zero failures on a single motor set up and might I say with hindsight its a simple modification that has been well thought out and a shame that Warn didnt apply it to the original design .

Due to a current situation with my rear winch on the weekend , I will be going for the gigglepin set up on the back , as is on the front , The husky I had on the back previously was a great winch ,Strong and reliable ,but to damn slow and the competetive edge is lost if you have to wait an extra 2 mins for the winch to catch up with your driving .

In the past I have used , X9`s Xp`s Xd`s But the 8274 outshines the every time in a challenge situation .

Ok back on topic Les , Get a new Bronze bush , if its still a bit loose loctite it in and the seal , Drill 3 x2.5mm holes in a triangular format into the flange on the casing next to the seal tap them out with a 4mm tap screw in 3 M4x 5mm setscrews with washers that overlap the metal part of the seal , This will stop any float by the seal and bush .

Putting my big foot in again.. sorry Les for Hi-jacking your thread..

An 8274

not sure whether an 8274 would fit on the bumper he's on about, but i could be wrong.... :blink:

Yes Simon right the bumper has a relative small space to fit a winch compared to a LR it was even a tight squeeze when we tried out TJ101, XD9000i anything longer in body width I would be cutting the bull bar of it & major rework of bumper. what I did get from the supplier was "I don't know why you are having trouble finding a winch that fits the bolt pattern in the base plate is the standard on most winches. As far as challenge events I would say that you need to go to a top quality winch fro a major manufacturer." great response yes I know the bolt holes are in the right place its the size of the bumper to the size of the winch is not...lol

here is my original thread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...35&hl=winch

thanks for your input White90.

Putting my big foot in again.. sorry Les for Hi-jacking your thread..

Yes Simon right the bumper has a relative small space to fit a winch compared to a LR it was even a tight squeeze when we tried out TJ101, XD9000i anything longer in body width I would be cutting the bull bar of it & major rework of bumper. what I did get from the supplier was "I don't know why you are having trouble finding a winch that fits the bolt pattern in the base plate is the standard on most winches. As far as challenge events I would say that you need to go to a top quality winch fro a major manufacturer." great response yes I know the bolt holes are in the right place its the size of the bumper to the size of the winch is not...lol

here is my original thread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...35&hl=winch

thanks for your input White90.

I've got the same problem, got an ARB bumper on the front of my Jimny, very small space up front which limits my options when I finally go to get a winch.

I think that HH is right in a way about it being down to personal preference about which winch you want to use . Its like buying coffee you choose the one you like and is most suited to you .

But the 8274 has been around for ages and personally I dont think any other winch manufacturer has come along with a simple easy fix design such as the the forementioned .

And after the tests of time (some 30years or more ) it still shines in the majority of off road situations .

Ok it was designed to take a 2.6hp motor but as things get more demanding it is now being forced to take 6 and upto 11 horses through it and admitidly it does suffer with the extra strain , but new soulutions are being made all the time to uprate the reliabilty of the drive train of the winch , such as the tried and tested uprated shafts from Gigglepin whos records to date suffer zero failures on a single motor set up and might I say with hindsight its a simple modification that has been well thought out and a shame that Warn didnt apply it to the original design .

Due to a current situation with my rear winch on the weekend , I will be going for the gigglepin set up on the back , as is on the front , The husky I had on the back previously was a great winch ,Strong and reliable ,but to damn slow and the competetive edge is lost if you have to wait an extra 2 mins for the winch to catch up with your driving .

In the past I have used , X9`s Xp`s Xd`s But the 8274 outshines the every time in a challenge situation .

I could kiss you, that makes every winch rant I have ever posted on this forum worth it...

Chris/Simon

Two options:

1) The EP6 short drum. Same gearbox as the EP9, same brake, 3.6hp motor, small drum - very neat package. Also made under the Come Up brand name

2) M8000 - it really is an ickle winch and will out pull speed wise an 8274 under full load. IMHO they are the best winch Warn ever made. They go well with an EP9.5 motor as well

Look at the winners of every major event on an international basis. What do they use in Spain, Portugal/France/Lithuania/Carpathia/Morroco/Argentina/Peru/The Colonies. Ramsey is probably more popular on a world wide basis than Warn! Overall sheer grunt is more popular than high speed at low/medium weight. Try to tell a yank that anything but Warn is an option. Other competitors swear by the X9 - slow but by god it will pull and pull. Everyone has preferences. Some think the 8274 is simple to take apart, others prefer the X9 or the T-max.

I still think BBC's winch is one of the most impressive I have ever seen for sheer control - but then a boggo MM is pretty damn good, so what should we expect. If that bog hadn't killed the BBC motor he would have breezed most of those punches. Ian knew what he wanted and despite a massive load of b*llsh*t anti hydraulic b*ll*xs he built a winch that wees on the chips of any electric winch standard or modded. When he gets one on his rear (ooer) that vehicle will be unstoppable(ish) even with teeny tyres and no locker.

It's that whole open mind thing.