Fuel Gauge Mystery

After recently undertaking a minor re-arrangement of my dash, I took the opportunity to move the fuel gauge from the left most hole to the far right, mainly so that the EGT & Temp gauges were in the most direct line of sight. All simple enough really, I didn't even need to extend any of the wiring for the fuel gauge. However, now that it's all back in place hte gauge reads "FULL" as soon as the ign is switched on. It doesn't matter how much fuel is in the tank, it never shows anything other than full. I couldn't have gotten the wiring wrong, because they are male/female spade teminals and will only go on one way.

If I put a multimeter accross the wires on the gauge, what sort of reading should I get? Will it be a less than the battery resting voltage (assuming a ¾ full tank) in a manner that is detectable?

Any other ideas?

Paul :)

A quick check with a multimeter shows the voltage delivered to the gauge with the ign on, but engine not running, was 9.8V. Voltage at the main battery was 12.6V, so it seems the sender is doing something. Does this mean the gauge has messed it's pants? When they do, do they normally read full all the time?

It is highly likely that the signal wire from the gauge to the sender is touching earth somewhere, or that terminal on the gauge is also touching something which is earthing it.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff

Guest dew110CSW

How easy is it to swap one of those out for a Rev counter? Was thinking of doing away with the ammeter and put a Tacho in it's place.

Yep, all are 52mm diameter except speedo that's 80mm diameter, I changed my 2 voltmeters for VDO vision range items & sold the old LR ones on ebay :D

hi were r the voltmeters situated got a dodgy temp gauge think it could be related.

OK, seems like the consensus is that the wiring is picking up a leak to ground somewhere, so I'll try to check that out.

Should I be able to measure some sort of resistance in the feed from the tank sender? In other words, if I connect my multimter to the sender wire at the gauge end, and the tank is less than full, what sort of resistance in ohms should I be looking for?

Guest diesel_jim

Check that the earth is still connected on the back of the guage.... on the metal thumbscrew that holds it in place. IIRC if this is missing the guage goes up to"max".

Check that the earth is still connected on the back of the guage.... on the metal thumbscrew that holds it in place. IIRC if this is missing the guage goes up to"max".

Give that man a cigar!! ;)

Spot on Jim, when I moved the gauge I must have taken off the earth to the gauge bracket, and with all the other messing about on the centre console and dash pod, I never got back to it. Connected a jump to the next gauge in the panel and result. :i-m_so_happy:

Thanks for the replies fellas, the thought of chasing down what appeared to be yet another Defender wiring fault was not appealing. This time the fault was the dodgy installer. <_<:lol:

Paul :)

Guest dew110CSW

Would be tempted to agree with Red90 - Once again not measured it but when the little ones are 52mm it seems bigger than 80 somehow.