ITV 4

Guest WALFY

how old were you stephen? did you get back to find they had trasehd your house.

I have been watching all the Falklands stuff with interest as i was only 3 when it happened and there's so much i just didn't realise- i thought just one of our ships had been shrunk not loads. Still don't get what te contrversy over the general belgrano is all about though- we were at war and sunk one of their boats. Don't get it!

Guest WALFY

The Belgrano was outside the exclusion zone and heading away. More of a controversy was when the Conquerer came back to port flying the jolly roger. Crossed torpedoes and skull.

At the end of the day the right result was achieved and some good men laid their lives down for what they believed.

At the moment I'm reading a book called The Last Post. Interviews with the last survivors of the First Great War. 1 commented that He did his duty and he expected the youth of today would do exactly the same thing. I beg to differ. The youth of today aren't known as the playstation generation for nothing. Can you see the "hoodies" joining up and doing their bit for Queen and Country

The youth of today aren't known as the playstation generation for nothing. Can you see the "hoodies" joining up and doing their bit for Queen and Country

Yep i certainly can. There would be a number who wouldn't, but there are a huge number who would be well up for a fight. The surge in nationalism, the propensity of the average teen to be up for a scrap on a saturday night, the number of kids who still think they are the best.

I know i'm getting on a bit, but at 27 i still would go to war without thinking about it, as woudl many many of my friends. Obviously i need 2 years of PT to get in any kind of shape, but that's beside the point!

I bet there were doubters in 1982, that if called upon, the 'yoof' of the day would fail if needed, must have been similar sentiments from old veterans at the Falklands time who felt the same about 'punks'.

Scraping the brain at that point(about punks), was only 6 afterall!! But i think you get the sentiment.

Saw the prog onBBC 2 ....good prog but you could never tell the whole story in an hour. I was 19 when it kicked off & can remember it . Dad's Grandfather signed up and fought in the Boer War and then again for WW1 and was took prisoner in France in 1915 . He spent 3 years in POW camp in the Ardennes. Still got the letter from King George saying welcome home to your home country. Be nice to think one day conflict could be over .......

:huh:

Steveb

how old were you stephen? did you get back to find they had trasehd your house.

I have been watching all the Falklands stuff with interest as i was only 3 when it happened and there's so much i just didn't realise- i thought just one of our ships had been shrunk not loads. Still don't get what te contrversy over the general belgrano is all about though- we were at war and sunk one of their boats. Don't get it!

I was 9 at the time. Fortunately our main home was out on the farm and had not been touched - the Argies never got that far out apart from when they came to collect us for "talkies" with Dad. The house in Stanley was totally wrecked, sh*t smeared up the walls, the fence torn down and used for firewood, everything smashed up and basically when we got it back we took everything absorbent out and burned it because it wasn't fit for anything else. You could not imagine human beings making (or indeed living in) such an unsanitary mess...

The issue now is not so much what happened back then as the fact that things really haven't changed - those who say that England and Germany were getting along fine by the 1960s fail to notice that Germany wasn't still trying to invade England in the 1960s - we are still in that situation, more or less, with a flight blockade on any new commercial flights coming in, and economic measures being taken against fishing and oil companies that try to work here. It ought to be a major United Nations scandal, but nobody really cares much at that level. Proves what a waste of space the UN is, IMHO.