Hybrid Gearbox

dees

Hi folks,

my first post here, I've been lurking for a bit, but now I have a question hopefully someone clever can answer.

I am slowly building a Rangie based hybrid tht originally had a 3.5 V8 and LT95. I want five speeds, so here's the question. Would an LT77 or R380 from a Disco or Defender drop straight into the rangie chassis or are input shaft lengths different? Am I destined to look only at Range Rovers for 'boxes??

Ta for any assistance/info rendered

Dees

Hi folks,

my first post here, I've been lurking for a bit, but now I have a question hopefully someone clever can answer.

I am slowly building a Rangie based hybrid tht originally had a 3.5 V8 and LT95. I want five speeds, so here's the question. Would an LT77 or R380 from a Disco or Defender drop straight into the rangie chassis or are input shaft lengths different? Am I destined to look only at Range Rovers for 'boxes??

Ta for any assistance/info rendered

Dees

the shaft on a v8 5spd is longer than the diesel 1 not sure if its just the long stick boxes that were on the v8

4 spd boxes are stronger than the 5spd

u could fit and o/d

IIRC Disco and Defender Tdi have different length bell housings and hence input shafts. The shifter mechanism is different and I don't think its easy to swap. So, u r better looking for a Disco box as that should be similar to a Rangie...if you get a one from a V8 Disco..

Hi,

if you are removing the LT95 the best 5 speed box to replace it with is the V8, long stick, the short stick will not fit the tunnel very well and it will need to be chopped a bit to fit but they are more readily available,

you have a few options here depending on what you want to spend :

the cheapest will be to get a early V8 long stick LT77 from about a 1985 RR classic, this is the type 52A suffix D LT77,

next is to find a later suffix G or H LT77 type 60 or 61A which is the same as the 52A but stronger

strongest is to fit a R 380 suffix L, again a V8 long stick version,

or if you don't fancy a LT77 or R 380 you can always fit a Santana LT85, strong but clunky,

whichever option you go for you will also need :

the V8 bellhousing to go with the above box

the LT230 transfer case

mounts

linkages

clutch

hope this helps,

feel free to give me a call if you need any further info,

Dave Ashcroft