The Land Rover Orphanage

Les Henson

Anyone had dealings with these chaps? I met them at Kemble a couple of years ago and they were very helpful, even to the point of disappearing off to get me a part for my S1. I understand they have moved to Bumpers Farm in Chippenham, are the same people running things, or have their been any changes?

I'm off to see them tomorrow regarding a new chassis for catflap.

Les.

Well you were all correct. I went out there this morning, had a pleasant chat with the owner and paid a £500 deposit on a nice new chassis wiv no rear crossmember for catflap (from Richards Chassis, who have a good reputation apparently).

Their new premises are very nice, I even got to have a look round the parts store :) Very helpful and friendly staff, who are as much enthusiasts as any of us. Of course - not so much for you girly coiler types with soft butts :rtfm:

Two weeks should see bird-brain complaining about noise from an angle grinder/smell of welding :D

Mind you - pigeons stink and make a racket too. :lol:

Les.

Guest diesel_jim
Two weeks should see bird-brain complaining about noise from an angle grinder/smell of welding :D

Mind you - pigeons stink and make a racket too. :lol:

Les.

ROTFLMAO!!!! can i help? i bought a chainsaw today (Aldi - £74.99!!!) so can i come and just rev the engine up to annoy him? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

on a nice new chassis wiv no rear crossmember for catflap

Didn't you post of pics of fitting (twice IIRC) a new rear crossmember to catflap. Was it so good you now feel you have to replace the rest of the chassis?

Well yes I did. I reinforced the rear crossmember, welded it to the original chassis, put all the bodywork on, then found the hole for the doors was too small. This was I'm a plonker oops, I appear to have made a slight error to the the tune of 15mm in chassis length. So being ever so slightly fussy, I have left that particular crossmember at the bottom of the garden to assist mother nature in providing natural iron elements to the sub-soil to assist in the growth of such rare plants as nettles, thistles, elderberry :D . Anyway - second exceedingly poor quality crossmember was bought, and improved (see tech thread in the archive). I positioned this second crossmember on the chassis and then loosely fitted the bodywork to it to get an idea of how it would all work.

Then got offered a cheap pipe bender

Then thought about PAS conversion

Then thought WTF

So - will/have bought a new chassis with no rear crossmember (as I have a reinforced one ready to go on)

I'll now alter the outriggers to take a cage I hope to make myself, plus other minor stuff to accept Defender Winch bumper, DIY rocksliders,etc.

tsk - try to keep up!:rtfm:

Les.