Dog leg crossmember

Les Henson

I have a new chassis for catflap coming shortly, and would like to fit PAS to him while in 'in there' (and manage to buy the necessary PAS bits off of someone) The problem with just moving the front crossmember forwards 5-or so inches is that I need the passenger side half of the crossmember to stay where it is because it supports the intercooler as well as the radiator. In which case I would have to make a crossmember that starts off in the right place, but then has to angle (or curve)forwards to allow for the steering box. Would there be a problem with making this type of crossmember regarding strength loss? Would a curve be stronger than an angle? If I used, say, 3mm hot rolled steel plate, would this offset any weaknessess by using thicker metal. The front end will have a Defender winch bumper with a Warn XD9000 winch. I obviously don't want to lose any chassis strength from doing this work.

Ta gents :)

Les

Could you not use a subframe to hold the intercooler in the appropriate place - freeing up the crossmember to go wherever you like? fire mounting brackets off from the back face of the front X member and also the side rails of the chassis?

Well I have bought a brand new Richards Chassis via the Land Rover Orphanage. It will be supplied as standard apart from no rear crossmember. I have a reinforced one to go in it's place. As far as the MOT goes, a mis-shapen crossmember is not an MOT fail (a rotten, but nice and straight one is though). I know that MOT regs and SVA are different animals, but I don't see that a brand new SWB S3 chassis with a strengthened rear crossmember, and a modified front crossmember, would be of interest to the DVLA. The only thing so far that involves the points system is the replacement of the engine.

Les.

I don't see that a brand new SWB S3 chassis with a strengthened rear crossmember, and a modified front crossmember, would be of interest to the DVLA.

I don't think it should be but I think it is. From what I have read anyway.

Chris

Les,

What about buying one of the electric steering columns and a controller from Fridgefreezer?

That way, you can keep the cross member, idler etc the same and only need to mod the steering column, which you would need to mod anyway?

Si

Guest diesel_jim

A mate of mine has just bought a tomcat. based on a discovery chassis, it has a "Y" shaped tubular middle crossmember, supplied by tomcat, so i'd hazzard a guess that it's strong enough to "offset" one at an angle.

What about buying one of the electric steering columns and a controller from Fridgefreezer?

I like that idea :D - I have a tilty column and controller here in fact although the column is Al's and may end up in his Mog if he ever makes a decision... :rolleyes:

Apart from that I'm with Jez - put a straight crossmember in and then mount the cooler on something else. Or fit a nice V8 and then you wouldn't need the extra chunk of ali :ph34r:

Here's how I did mine - x-member repalced with 50x100 box and moved forward to be flush with the rad panel

whole_setup.jpg

Had to add a drive hole for the H14:

x-member.jpg

I like that idea :D - I have a tilty column and controller here in fact although the column is Al's and may end up in his Mog if he ever makes a decision... :rolleyes:

It may indeed! I think I've got Warne-itis - I just can't seem to get anything done! :(

Anyway, in theory of course there is no reason why a wonky crossmember can't be stronger than a regular one - it just depends how you do it. But I'd be inclined to go with the others and just move the straight one and fab a bracket for the cooler.

Al.

:)