Electrics Expert Wanted

TJ101

First chance i have had to look at a problem with my 8274 !! (24v system, with twin batteries & second 24v alternator )

During JST's last 4x4Adventures Winch Challenge, had to recover a dead V8 up a steepish bank, about 120 foot pull, seamed not a problem, with a couple of min halts on the way up, near the very top, the winch started to slow, together with a burning smell, which was quickly traced to the earth lead (?) from the alternator, back to the battery,

Today, replace the lead all the way through, and tested,,,But now get very hot quickly (ie shorting), and the motor is still slow, and also get warm in a very short place of time !!

So before pulling it all to bits,, what do the panel think,,

any pointers appreciated !!

(and replies such as buy a steam/hydraulic one, put the 8274 in the bin and get a proper winch, etc etc and not a lot of help, thanks ! :lol: )

Shouldn't be an 'earth lead' connected to the alternator, as such.

heat is a sign of a dead short, and one shifting a lot of current - not good.

The alternator should be earthed to the block. the 24v battery pair should also be earthed to the block, gearbox, chassis etc as per the 12v battery.

the only heavy current wire from the 24v alternator should go to the second of the "24v" battery pair, which is also where the solenoid pack should take take it's feed for the winch from.

Guest diesel_jim

The big cable from the alternator should be the main positove charge wire to the battery.... the earth of the alt is through its casing, onto the engine block and chassis.

If the main cable is getting warm, it sounds like it's broken down somewhere inside and causing a high resistance.

you say getting warm quickly.... the main cable? all the time or only when the engine is running?

If you disconnect this main cable from either the battery or th alternator (with the engine OFF) does is spark? it shouldn't, if it does, that would lead me to think the diode pack in the alternator has fried.

When I've had this before with winch still pulling, albeit slowly, and getting hot quick is was a problem with the brushes shorting and another time when the motor burnt out when a brake failed.

I would take the motor apart and looks for signs of damage. Depending on what's broken Phil Gordon or David Bowyer van repair these motors.

btw over 18 months of usage without a single problem sounds ok to me Tim ;)

Steve

Steve

btw over 18 months of usage without a single problem sounds ok to me Tim"

Absolutely , could not agreed more, done a fair bit of work !!

am thinking motor myself !! as was fine for near 3/4 of the pull, then the thinnish cable form the -neg terminal :unsure: on the back of the 24v alternator ( Jim, the l/h one is the 24v one, !) to the twin battery pack

D Jim, its this small gauge cable that melted on the pull, that's now been replace with a heavy gauge one, that gets hot, ie near melting again within 2/3 mins, just re spooling the line back on !! (only when winch working)

Landyman.. agree, heat in these cable, is not good,

Thanks for the input so far !!

Need to sit down and trace what cables are going where !! :o

No problems James,, remember, its covered under Steve's lifetime warranty !! :D

Yep :rolleyes: like you'd want it.

I have no idea about guage of cables as they were on before I bought it, but if there's a short in the motor the cables as well as the motor will get hot as the short will draw high currents. At least you know the batteries are working ok!! ;)

Cheers

Steve

The big cable from the alternator should be the main positove charge wire to the battery.... the earth of the alt is through its casing, onto the engine block and chassis.

Slightly OT but wouldn't it be worth earthing the alt directly to the (24V) batteries? Its more wiring but won't it help efficiency?

• 2 weeks later...

A update, if anyone interested,,

Motor problem,, New Bowmotor 24v 5.6hp fitted, job a good un !! together with new brake kit, !!

Will get the old motor checked/rebuilt, and will go on the rear husky, when i get round to it