New Mobile Phone

Guest WALFY

Guest WALFY

It is Landy related bear with me.

I'm due for an upgrade now and looked at getting an XDA mobile on O2. It has a built in GPS and can run mapping softwear, although it's not memorymap. The bloke did say what it was but I can't for the life of me think what it is.

Is this a viable option, the screen seems to be about 3" so not that small.

Has anyone got this phone or have any thaughts on it

Guest WALFY

Bloody hell 2 replys so quick.

Tim I already have TomTom 910, but it doesn't do OS mapping. I was hoping that this would cover that problem. Does co-pilot give me this option or is it like TT?

The Orbit is my daily phone, now loaded with TT 6 ? on a 2g card, so covers Europe, (about 1.2g used), The built in GPS works well, even indoors !! only problem, its fiddly to change/remove the sd/sim cards !!

At present, have left MMap on the old XDA 11, a bigger screen, and some how prefer it, as the button are that much bigger, and i am still after 4 months with the Orbit, more familiar with the old one,

Can not see why MM should not work on the Orbit,

I'm still using my XDA "Orbit" and am still very happy with it.

The Co Pilot software is really good - I still haven't got lost with it :rolleyes:

The phone has been very reliable so far.

Only issue I know off is easily fixed.

The memory card cradle is a bit flimsy so popping a little bit of card between the mem card and the sim card keeps everythig in place.

Apart from that, it's the best phone I've owned!

I've never thought about running MM on the XDA untill now - What a brilliant idea as the Co-pilot software just shows your "off road" (as in between them!)

If anyone has a copy that I can use to see if it works on my Orbit XDA, I'd be really gratefull.

I have just got the XDA and think it is a fantastic phone GPS even works in the landy without an external aerial. I am starting to like the co-piolt software as well you can even just give it a lat and lon to go to

I ran both Tom-Tom & MM on the old XDA 11, was a pain swapping over , the sd cards were easy enough, but you had to do a soft reset, as each ot the program used to hog the gps port, (Mark90 helped get round that one, :) ) so have not bothered with the orbit, If i am going to need MM, take the old unit or laptop !!

As a phone and road satnav, well happy with the orbit

I've most often seen TomTom on XDAs (and any of the other HTC clones), but some of the ones with built in GPS use other software - generally it's aimed at road navigation but you should be able to use the built in GPS hardware with any other software which will run on Windows Mobile. Personally, I've never put GPS software on mine (it doesn't have built in GPS).

The newer phones are better than mine (an XDA mini, about a year old), but my experience and that of a number of friends that have Windows phones is that while they are okay PDAs (not great ones), they are pretty lousy phones. The microphones are poor, so other people can have trouble hearing you, volume is a bit random (ie. sometimes it'll ring at full volume when it's been turned down and so on, and they have a habit of sending two or more copies of texts every now and then. The messaging application keeps switching to email mode even though I only ever use it for texts, which is incredibly annoying as it makes it twice as much work to send a text.

Don't expect to use it one handed or by touch either - it's pretty much impossible.

They also crash every now and then, and you really need to budget about fifty quid for add on software to render Windows Mobile usable (SPB Pocket Plus to fix the memory management issues, Softtick Card Export so you can access the memory card as a USB drive from computers that don't have MS ActiveSync installed).

Sound quality and the camera on mine are both poor, but the newer ones are better.

It's not actually bad enough that I can be bothered getting rid of it, but I would if I was a heavy phone user and I won't be getting another Windows phone.

I've got a Nokia N73 and there are mapping and GPS widgets available on the 'bay, but I'm worried about the phone itself. After 6 months it's slowed down so much that I'm worried about adding any more applications to it. I suspect a software update might be in order ... anyway. My question is, has anyone used GPS on an earlier (N73) Nokia?

?? Tony, since when did MM cover Europe ?? got a link please

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/

There's even a link for a free Trial of the software.

I've been using Memory Map with an Orange SPV M500 and now a MDA Vario II for a couple of years for driving, walking and Mountian Biking. I have Tom Tom 5 ( there's a wee program that lets you share the GPS unit so Tom Tom doesn't hog it. GPS Gate? I think))

Any phone that runs window's Mobile 5, or similar should Support MM, just don't expect the people in the phone shop to know that.

They aren't brilliant as a phone, but it sure beats carrying a phone, an Ipod, a GPS and a lap-top with you.

You'll be able to make posts to this forum, as you're out and about.

It'll be "I am sunk up to the bonnet in mud, and I'm about to climb out the window and start digging" rather than " I was stuck in mud up to the bonnet, and had to climb out the window and dig for an hour".

Iain

Guest WALFY

Finaly managed to find time to get my upgrade. In the end I went for the Nokia N95. Just playing with it. Seems easy to operate just got to load MM on to it and get that to work. Will let you know how I get on with it.