warn dual force HD

pedro

Hello, first thread and new Land Rover Defender owner! So, i fancy getting one of these winches, for the winch capabilities and the additional capabilities of the air compressor. Has anybody bought one of these yet, they seem quite expensive until you factor in the value of the air compressor. They seem to sit quite high so would cooling be a problem? It seems to mask the airflow into the radiator.

Welcome!

With winches it is very much a case of horses for courses. Warn have a good reputation but are expensive. Superwinch have an equally good rep but are less expensive.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a winch with a built in compressor. I think it is a gimmick.

If you are new to off roading then I would look seriously at a Superwinch EP9 which is hard to beat on the value for money scale. A compressor for tyre inflation can be had for very lttle money.

A bit of background on your off orading aspirations and vehicle would help us give more guidance on winch choice.

I bought an EP9, tubular winch bumper with recovery points, stainless steel hawselead and a Viair 450C constant duty compressor, 5l tank and full on board install kit for less than the price of the Warn dual force HD.

Winch etc from FirstFour Off Road and Compressor kit from Matt Savage.

No problem with air flow with an EP9..

winch016Medium.jpg

Cheers

Steve

ok guys thanks all for the reply. I think i better do some research on the superwinch. I visited a store in Phoenix 2 days ago, i live in sussex by the way, whilst travelling with work. The price for the Warn is around the £650 mark. The import duty on car parts i think is still 20% all told therefore around £750, i get free shipping. The other facts! i will use for light off roading for a start as it is a 110 and will never go crazy like you guys! I am hoping to use for other forestry related tasks which are inaccessable by other means. The air functions would be handy for an inflatable speedboat, tyre inflation and air tools. I guess it would be useless without the outboard air tank though, so add on another £100. ps, i picked up the warn winch, it is very heavy, i guess around 40kgs. The site for the store, which seems excellent in terms of knowledge and customer service... http://www.desertrat.com/ .

All for now, keep the replies coming please!

ok guys thanks all for the reply. I think i better do some research on the superwinch. I visited a store in Phoenix 2 days ago, i live in sussex by the way, whilst travelling with work. The price for the Warn is around the £650 mark. The import duty on car parts i think is still 20% all told therefore around £750, i get free shipping. The other facts! i will use for light off roading for a start as it is a 110 and will never go crazy like you guys! I am hoping to use for other forestry related tasks which are inaccessable by other means. The air functions would be handy for an inflatable speedboat, tyre inflation and air tools. I guess it would be useless without the outboard air tank though, so add on another £100. ps, i picked up the warn winch, it is very heavy, i guess around 40kgs. The site for the store, which seems excellent in terms of knowledge and customer service... http://www.desertrat.com/ .

All for now, keep the replies coming please!

If you can get to the States and buy dollar for pound then consider Milemarker and a hydraulic winch. Light, compact, reliable but slow. If you are using for recovery and forestry related tasks then the Milemarker will work all day without getting into a sweat. Get a separate pump not the option of using your power steering pump. Use synthetic rope, you will need an aluminium or stainless hawse for guiding the rope onto the drum, do not use rollers for synthetic. With heavy winches and a winch bumper you will need to uprate your front springs, keep it light and simple and save the trouble and cost of suspension mods. I use a Milemarker and with synthetic rope I am adding maybe 20kg to the front.

If you can get to the States and buy dollar for pound then consider Milemarker and a hydraulic winch. Light, compact, reliable but slow. If you are using for recovery and forestry related tasks then the Milemarker will work all day without getting into a sweat. Get a separate pump not the option of using your power steering pump. Use synthetic rope, you will need an aluminium or stainless hawse for guiding the rope onto the drum, do not use rollers for synthetic. With heavy winches and a winch bumper you will need to uprate your front springs, keep it light and simple and save the trouble and cost of suspension mods. I use a Milemarker and with synthetic rope I am adding maybe 20kg to the front.

ok, the guy in the store raved about bulldog winches, american made and very reasonably priced. Do we have them over here? To be honest i dont mind spending a bit more and getting quality, buy cheap buy twice right? (or not?) The springs i have at the moment are, i beleive, the wolf heavy duty ones with 2" lift, so i guess will stand up to the extra weight. I think the electric is preferable as in ease of installation.