Disaster!

GBMUD

I decided that this week I would get cracking and change the clutch and whichever oil seal was failing - see here for history.. I removed all the nuts and bolts and bits and pieces yesterday and this morning hired a crane and set about lifting the engine out. Getting the engine out was easy and I was even able to lift it high enough to clear the radiator and put it down on the ground to work on. I removed the flywheel and it was immediately apparent where the oil was leaking from, the engine rear main oil seal. I had one ready so I removed the flywheel housing and changed it. Re-fit the housing, flywheel and clutch - had to make an alignment tool - and new starter motor and lifted the engine back into place over the radiator.

Then disaster, the rope holding the engine to the crane broke and the engine plummeted from maximum height into the engine bay landing almost vertically, flywheel down. Thank God I was nowhere near it when it broke! The top of the radiator is damaged, time will tell how badly... I managed to recover the engine and it seems to have survived well, the radiator and exhaust appear to have taken the sting out of it and I think that it landed mostly on the track rod. I have, however, managed to break a lump and one stud out of the flywheel housing making it unusable - along with the new oil seal! :angry:

So, lesson learned? Use proper lifting kit and not free blue rope for engine lifting. I knew that anyway but took a short cut as I had not got the proper kit. Now I need a new flywheel housing - see the classifieds... Anyone know if it is the same part on an early 200Tdi Defender as on an older TD engine?

Chris

Guest WALFY

Chris

Sorry to hear that. It's no consolation but I have a short length of chain that I use and a long choke chain aswell. If you need to borrow in the future give me a shout.

thats not good news, glad your OK, get a video of it happening..........

At least it didn't happen before a big trip away like the Pyrenees in 3 weeks is it now? if you dont want to come you can tell us straight no need for elaborate stories!

Hope you find a replacement part soonest

I may have a TD flywheel housing here Chris, will look later and give you a bell. It definitely fits a 200TDi, so perhaps it'll fit the 300 as well.(not sure what engine you have)

You was bluddy lucky m8, must have been a bit scary when that suddenly went though.

Les.

must have been a bit scary when that suddenly went though.

It was! Spilled my tea which was on the wing too! :) Wife heard it from in the house and came out to see if I was crushed... which was touching. :)

Thanks Les. Mine is a 200Tdi - anyone got a parts book to confirm that they are the same part?

Chris

It was! Spilled my tea which was on the wing too! :) Wife heard it from in the house and came out to see if I was crushed... which was touching. :)

Thanks Les. Mine is a 200Tdi - anyone got a parts book to confirm that they are the same part?

Chris

Chris I've got a 300 one but I don't think it'll work as it doesn't hold the oil seal. IIRC a TD one will, though.

Glad you're OK.

It was! Spilled my tea which was on the wing too! :)

Hehe, I was going to say earlier that it was lucky you didn't have a tea on the wing otherwise you'd have spilt that too.

Glad it wasn't worse, bet you were wishing that you changed the clutch in situ! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve