Complete Fluid Change

Right the old girl is nearly back together and as a final treatment I'm goint to renew all of the fluids so got a couple of questions for you good folk.

1. Should I just use the handbook spec for the below or has thinking changed?

1.1 Engine Oil (2.5NAD)

1.2 Gearbox Oill (LT77)

1.3 Front Diff

1.4 Rear Diff (Salisbury)

1.5 Coolant (Electric fan)

2. Which are the best for cost effective quality for the above? , Any good online suppliers or shall I just got to local motor factors / Halfwitts (Chavfrauds)?

Guest WALFY

How far did you strip down? If you've replaced brake componants then you'll of bled new fluid through, if not you might want to think about changing brake fluid if it's been in there sometime.

High tech thin and expensive oils may be a bit of a waste of money on an older knackerd performance diesel :) .I use Morris's oils for engine, gearbox, and axles. Brake and clutch fluid is always Lockheed Delphi DOT 4, and Comma ATF fluid. JCB grease, cos I get it for nowt/it's good stuff anyway, and the blue colour doesn't clash with catflaps lush paint job (when it leaks out and splatters onto the bodywork). Some of the makes that have been around for years tend to be my preferred choice.

Les

How far did you strip down? If you've replaced brake componants then you'll of bled new fluid through, if not you might want to think about changing brake fluid if it's been in there sometime.

Brakes have been done, as has the clutch fluid. (Self bleeding, my bottom :-) had to pressure bleed it after putting new master and slave on, nightmare)

Just use the oil grades as given in the handbook/workshop manual.

15w/40 for engine

ATF or MTF94 for main gearbox

EP90 for transfer box,front & rear axles

DOT4 fluid for brake & clutch hydraulic systems

good quailty all year coolant for cooling system

Hmm, i'd be interested to know of a good "cheap" supplier as i need a complete set of fluids for mine, axles, t-box, gearbox, engine, coolant the works!

SMO

I use speciallised oil products, based on the Ferndown Industrial Estate. As an example, £22 for a 25l drum of engine oil. They even have the vehicle listings so can tell you what you need. And they'll do virtually any type of oil etc. Saves a fortune come servicing time!

Their number is 01202 891393

And they'll deliver as well :D

Hope this helps

James

SMO

I use speciallised oil products, based on the Ferndown Industrial Estate. As an example, £22 for a 25l drum of engine oil. They even have the vehicle listings so can tell you what you need. And they'll do virtually any type of oil etc. Saves a fortune come servicing time!

Their number is 01202 891393

And they'll deliver as well :D

Hope this helps

James

Excellent, cheers James. They are just a few miles down the road so i can pay them a visit :)

Not directly on topic but close - how often do you guys recommend replacing all the oils etc?

Mine is a 1991 Defender 90 with a 200Tdi and about 125k on the clock.

I have seen 3k strongly recommended for engine oil, instead of the suggested 6k and can see the logic, but what about frequency for complete changes in the axles and gearboxes? I suspect the frequency gets sooner as it all gets older but not sure.

Quite happy to do more frequently if it helps it last longer but no point in wasting good cash!

Best wishes

Malcy

engine

td5 changed every 6k (recommended 12k service interval) with filters

tdi - changed every 4-5k or 12mths.

remainder axles, t box, g box, brake, clutch changed usually when something breaks or after wading if required or as per handbook

morning tiger

as Les mentioned try and avoid some of the synthetics (motor oil)

initially, I ran my 300tdi on 5-40 and saw No adverse problems just that it did tend to leak

Then I changed to decent quality 15-40 turbo diesel oil & no leaks pressure. & cheaper

I initially went with synthetics as I installed a external Kleen-Oil filtration system (intention was to extent the oil change intervals - still have the filter on but just run thicker oil through it.

For the relative price of the mineral v. synthetic new its easier to change it and whilst you doing ones a yr drop all the oils (boxes & diffs) and replace

happy trails

abe

Hi

costco are cheap for oil IIRC is about £16-18 ish for a 20L drum of chevron/texaco semi syn. As for interval, if your not regularly wading/serious offroading then the diff oil can be changed anually, obviously check it more regularly than thet, if its got water/carp in it then change it :)

Mike