110 salibury rear diff casing

1989 110 station wagon, originally a 2.5TD

I have a Salisbury rear axle and will be replacing the diff casing.

The oil filler bolt had been overtightened and damaged the threads on the casing (by previous owner, I think.)

So when I came to refill the oil, the fill bolt did not tighten but dropped inside the diff, BAD.. Took the diff casing off and fished out the bolt. bolt now secured using threadlock, and silicon gasket seal..

I have the new casing , all nicely primed and painted.. and the gasket , looks like cork

Now heres the question, when fitting the new casing.

Clean the matting surface and fit the cork gasket.

Do I need to use silicon sealant with this kind of gasket?

What are the torque values for the bolts on the casing.?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

cheers

While we are on the subject of salisbury axles, does anyone know if you can change the pinion bearing externally or have you got to take the diff out. If the diff has to come out, do we have to spread the axle or is it possible to grind a bit off, I seem to remember its a tight fit.

Cheers

Bob

I only use a smear of grease on one surface to hold any gasket in place. That's the idea of a gasket.

Unless it's a metal gasket that's non crushable.

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house

id use it on both sides makes a nicer and cleaner job

While we are on the subject of salisbury axles, does anyone know if you can change the pinion bearing externally or have you got to take the diff out. If the diff has to come out, do we have to spread the axle or is it possible to grind a bit off, I seem to remember its a tight fit.

Cheers

Bob

You have to take the diff out.

I've done three Salisbury diffs. Two when on a coiurse at Ford. One at work.

I don't ever want to do another one.

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!

Cheers

Bob

hi bob,

like mike says diff carrier has to come out but you can leave the axle in, dunno where all this axle spreader buissiness comes from, yes they can sometimes be tight but if you put a ring spanner on one of the crown wheel bolts to stop the carrier turning then carefully lever it out with a bar they come out fine (well all the ones i've done did, i have to say most of them were fords and i've only done 1 landy ) and you certainly don't want to be grinding anything :o

cheers

paul

I was beggining to think I was losing mi marbels about the spreader business, I am sure that we made a home made spreader out of some big G clamps once, but that was a few years ago.

However, I took the diff out of mine today and it came out a treat and I was doubting my memory. It must have been a different type of salisbury?.

The casing spreader business comes from the correct preload on the diff bearings. If its been done without a spreader then the bearings were somewhat worn. My front diff would not move at all so i had to make a spreader to get it out.

yes this does make sense, suppose i've just been lucky, though i've always managed to drift the carrier back in using a block of wood with it's new bearings using the same size shims. the other thing is we always did them on wheelfree ramps so you were standing under the axle and could use quite a long bar if ness, having said that i did the landy on the floor.