EAS diagnostics - why wont it work??

Jon White

Anyone got any bright ideas why the diagnostics wont work on my softdash classic??

Got my mate to borrow the autologic unit from where he works, but when we plug it in the unit keeps coming up saying unable to communicate with ECU.

I've checked all the fuses, checked all the pinouts to the ECU plug, have power to pin 1 etc. Checked the diagnostic plug, checked the ecu is plugged in etc etc etc.

Only things I can find is some prat of a previous owner has all the wrong relays in it and has buggered the wiring around! The compressor was wired directly through the pressure switch and not connected to the ECU at all! There was no warning lamp ecu in it, and there is the wrong delay relay in it! I've borrowed delay relays, and other ecu's but cannot get any of them to talk to it, but I cant borrow the correct ecu so am a bit flummoxed! I think I've put all the wiring back to where it should be!

Does this sound like a dead ECU??

Thanks

Jon

Anyone got any bright ideas why the diagnostics wont work on my softdash classic??

Got my mate to borrow the autologic unit from where he works, but when we plug it in the unit keeps coming up saying unable to communicate with ECU.

I've checked all the fuses, checked all the pinouts to the ECU plug, have power to pin 1 etc. Checked the diagnostic plug, checked the ecu is plugged in etc etc etc.

Only things I can find is some prat of a previous owner has all the wrong relays in it and has buggered the wiring around! The compressor was wired directly through the pressure switch and not connected to the ECU at all! There was no warning lamp ecu in it, and there is the wrong delay relay in it! I've borrowed delay relays, and other ecu's but cannot get any of them to talk to it, but I cant borrow the correct ecu so am a bit flummoxed! I think I've put all the wiring back to where it should be!

Does this sound like a dead ECU??

Thanks

Jon

Hi Jon,

I don't know much about the soft dash, however I have seen a similar thing done. An EAS ecu wasn't turning the compressor on, so it was wired through a relay (NOT gate) to the pressure switch. A quite effective method of solving the problem - although it has its obvious dangers.

Sounds like the ecu stopped some functionallity but not all so the previous owner bodged it into a semi working system.

Good luck rebuilding it - software comms are inverted serial I think, plenty out there on the forums for pin maps etc, I have nothing for the soft dash i'm afraid.

Hope you sort it

Ben

Thanks - so far as I can tell the ecu has stopped the output to the compressor, and the re-wire has made the pump run. When I put it back to this mode the suspension works, and levels and goes up and down etc. However the dash warning lamp never goes out unless I take the green relay out. My guess is that the output from the ECU to this is also dead.

Otherwise it all seems to work, (or would do if I had the correct delay relay), but the issue is that it isnt quite level! NSF is about 25mm higher. Should be easy enough to re-set, but the diagnostics just wont talk to it!

My best guess at the moment is the ECU is dead.

Cheers

Jon

The delay relay is more than a simple relay,are you using something else ? Failed delay relays are the normal reason for not being able to get comms with the ECU.If the car settles to one side then its probably because the ECU was calibrated to another car.Dont you just hate it when some pratt has been in there and left it in a right old state for the next bloke to sort out.

The delay relay is more than a simple relay,are you using something else ? Failed delay relays are the normal reason for not being able to get comms with the ECU.If the car settles to one side then its probably because the ECU was calibrated to another car.Dont you just hate it when some pratt has been in there and left it in a right old state for the next bloke to sort out.

Thanks! Yep tell me about it! I've borrowed a delay relay and it still wouldnt communicate! Think the best bet will prolly be to try and source another ecu and go from there!

Cheers

Jon

In my experience the EAS ECU's rarely fault - thats not to say never tho ! But it also explains why I've got 4 or 5 of them in stock,you are welcome to try one,or if you want to bring the car up to me,(Nr Bath) I'll sort it for you,for a small sum.