Swing away wheel carrier

HI

I have 110 Defender 4 door double cab with half door drop down [tailgate] at the back with a truckman top.

This is a 2006 reg

has any one fixed one to this type of landrover and if so what type / make was it ?

Adrian

Note this is NOT the landrover in the pictrue

Paddock (and just about every LR supplier) do 2

This one

pm132.jpg

swings with a rear door and utilises the existing fixing in the door to keep it shut.

The cheaper one

pm287.jpg

has to be unlocked before the door will open, and is much more suited to truckcab applications

The lower one is a copy of the old Pivlock design and is independant to the door (ideal for a tailgate). I had one of these on my S111 almost 20-years ago and it proved to be very good carrying a heavy 9.00x16 without a problem. Not being connected to the door also meant I could change quickly between a door & tailgate depending on what I was doing with the vehicle that day. The only downside if used with a door is that it can only be opened from the outside so passengers in the rear of the vehicle couldn't get out unaided but with a tailgate this isn't a problem.

WH make (made?) one for vehicles fitted with a tailgate, the pivot was the same as one the normal one but the arm was longer and was held in the closed position by the N/S drop-catch that holds the tailgate closed. I was going to go for one of these on my current 90 soft-top until I decided to go for a side-hinged tailgate which utilizes a normal WH swingaway carrier.

• 1 month later...

Kaymar in Australia make one that is well suitable for a ute with a drop down tail gate. They are similar I think to the ones on the Frogs Island site. This guys on AULRO made his own one Wheel Carrier, a good write up with good pics, I might have wanted to make the bottom arm a bit longer , say out to the edge of the tyre, just for more convenient access. This link has some info on the Kaymar carrier on a NAS(?) 90 & a link to the Kaymar website Kaymar

Steve.

post-264-1181722944_thumb.jpgpost-264-1181715946_thumb.jpg

Now this is a proper wheel carrier!

Thats the same as Mine!

I tied mine into th rear roll cage mounts inside the tub for max strength. Wolf Rim with BFG AT's, Hi-Lift, and two 25lt jerries. Strong as heck...a bit weighty though. The picture shows the tub with the corner section of tread plate removed whilst we welded in the braces to the roll cage. It's not crystal clear but should give the general picture.

IMHO....if you are putting a wheel carrier onto an open back tub you'd do well to reinforce the top pivot. I don't think it would take long to rip the top of the tub open with the weight of the wheel bumping around etc.

Mine is probably over engineered...but after five years of hard use the tub is still in perfect order.

A mate of mine has strengened his 110 twincab carrier by dropping a strut down through the floor onto the chassis. It makes lots of sense......

Regards.

S.

Kaymar in Australia make one that is well suitable for a ute with a drop down tail gate. They are similar I think to the ones on the Frogs Island site.

The Kaymar one is the one shown in the BOAB link in my previous post - I've not seen one in the 'flesh' yet though.

IMHO....if you are putting a wheel carrier onto an open back tub you'd do well to reinforce the top pivot. I don't think it would take long to rip the top of the tub open with the weight of the wheel bumping around etc.

Mine is probably over engineered...but after five years of hard use the tub is still in perfect order.

Streaky, thats what worries me - I've seen a lot of rear tubs shagged by carriers just bolted through (even station wagons). Thats why I'm thinking of going down the crossmember route - possible for both mine. The 110 is the standard alloy but will have a tyre mounted bike rack and ALF has a wolf steel.

Has anyone made their own spare wheel carrier??

Yes, me !

Almost identical to the Mill Services one but in stainless.

The top bracket is reinforced on the inside with a big steel plate. Will support

me sitting on the wheel in open state too.

On the "to do" list is the Mk2 with HiLift mount.......or similar to that

beastie looking Shrockworks job.

look here mill-services wheel carrier for tailgate fitted vehicles :D

Mill Services has changed hands and the web site contact details are now out of date. It's now run by a K Davis whose number is 07974970369. I've just ordered one off him and he reckons on honouring the old price etc - however he only takes cheques - so I'll let you know in due course whether it arrives or I've been the victim of fraud...

The Kaymar one is the one shown in the BOAB link in my previous post - I've not seen one in the 'flesh' yet though.

Hi John.

The Kaymar system is superb.A few lads out here have them on their Defenders and LR3's.They even make a twin wheel carrier based on a left and right handed pivot. Frogs Island can't be too far from you?, they do them. Pricey but nicey!

Regards.

S.

G'day All,

I would like to ask you dear people to check my design and give me your opinion please.

I'm on drawing stage of making wheel carier. At the moment I do not have welding/bending equipment, so idea is to make something not complicated and to be able to bolt stright on using existing holes on rear cross member. (To do welding job I'll ask in some local workshop, hope it's not big $$$).

Main worry about rear member, because it looks not very strong for me. I'm going to put 10mm plate and bolt it in 6 points light blue on picture). The stub axel I'm going to use will be welded to this plate. Here is 2 pictures:

post-3444-1181806292_thumb.jpg post-3444-1181806399_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Ruslan

Hi John.

The Kaymar system is superb.A few lads out here have them on their Defenders and LR3's.They even make a twin wheel carrier based on a left and right handed pivot. Frogs Island can't be too far from you?, they do them. Pricey but nicey!

Regards.

S.

Thanks for that Streaky - I'll pop in to Frogs Island (just down the road), I didn't know they did the Kaymar one but Jim (Gwinster) has one of the ones in the Frogs Island link I posted.

Pricey but nicey sums it up - but worth it for a new truck.

John.....I've just had a quick shuff at the Frogs Island Site and couldn't see anything! (Thats not to say that they don't do kaymar though)

They have a number of cars in the gallery with the 'Rugged Trail' swing out carriers which are the same decent design as the Kaymar one.

In any case I think the cross member mounting system is far better than the ones that mount onto the corners of the tub without any other form of support. Both also have the 'over center' closure which is very solid in securing the carrier shut. I have the same system on my 130 and haven't had a single issue with it.

Good luck.

S.

• 9 months later...
Mill Services has changed hands and the web site contact details are now out of date. It's now run by a K Davis whose number is 07974970369. I've just ordered one off him and he reckons on honouring the old price etc - however he only takes cheques - so I'll let you know in due course whether it arrives or I've been the victim of fraud...

Got mine (some time ago!) and was very impressed - cheap and cheerful but up to the job.