To NAS or not to NAS - that is the question

"love the NAS lights, currently looking into getting some myself.

Litch let me know if you want to sell your old ones please "

I won't be selling the old ones, I will probably fit them to my Sankey. I wouldn't bother looking for S/H ones as they are cheap enough new.

"Also are NAS units all much of a muchness or does better price generally get a better unit? Sorry still a bit green behind the ears on these things. Always a little bit suspicious of eBay stuff."

The original ones (which I bought as genuine parts from a main dealer as no-one else sold them at the time) are badged Le Perie as are the ones I recently bought from 4x4bits.com for £5 each. I see Wipac are now manufacturing them but what they are badged I don't know.

When buying them all you need is the light unit (which comes with the bulb-holder and usually the bulb as well), the plinth and then the connector (2-way for side, fog, reversing etc and 3-way for stop/tail), that is it. If you have a later model Defender which has light-units with a separate lead then you won't need new connectors as I think they are the same pattern.

I went straight for the LED flush look after seeing a US Landy in rock crawler setup...

The rear ones are from US trucks and are 4" diameter, and the fronts are marker lights.

Passed two MOTs with no problems and is a bit more unique than standard lights.

I realise that they are not to everyones liking, but I think they are brill.

post-1003-1176580004_thumb.jpgpost-1003-1176580025_thumb.jpg

Guest dew110CSW

Personally I'm not keen on them, think they look a bit OTT on a Landie, The standards look far better. if you want to improve the standard bulbs put a bit of tin foil around them.

At the end of the day it is a personal thing, some like them and other don't but there is no getting away from the fact they are a better light in terms of performance. It isn't that they are brighter as they use the same bulbs but they have a larger diameter and with the integral reflector (the reflector is actually only a silver painted finish) and improved lense they give a better spread of light (the fact LR have been using them for years for the fog & reversing lights bears this one out).

A purist will never accept them (even though they were standard fit in the US market) but if you like them and are willing to drill the bodywork to accept them I don't see the problem. I have had them on my 90 for so long now I take no notice of them and it is standard lights that look odd to me.

The rectangular NAS lights are a different matter and I think that even LR decided they didn't look right as they went to the round ones very quickly, they just looked like the type you pick up at the local trailer parts suppliers or motor-factors.

Durite do 3 variations of the NAS lamp; Standard bulb, LED and Opticulated reflector (which look the best....LED is so passe :P ).

Unfortunately the Durite website doesn't provide any product info. I got a copy of their catalogue from the local auto electrical factors.

Durite are based at Dovercourt in Essex and their telephone number is: 01255 555200

Jon.

• 2 years later...
I went straight for the LED flush look after seeing a US Landy in rock crawler setup...

The rear ones are from US trucks and are 4" diameter, and the fronts are marker lights.

Passed two MOTs with no problems and is a bit more unique than standard lights.

I realise that they are not to everyones liking, but I think they are brill.

post-1003-1176580004_thumb.jpgpost-1003-1176580025_thumb.jpg

Nic, have you a link to a source for those rear lamps? They would be perfect for my trailer project!

• 6 months later...

here is a link to led version of the NAS lamps

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/LED.html

I like the nas lamps and have just finished rebuilding a scrap 110 and these where a first choice, although I would have prefered the nato style ones with the screw off front!

IMG_3923.jpg

I am another that thinks the NAS lights don't look right on older Landies, they look fine on shiny new ones (but if a Defender stays looking shiny & new for long,I don't think it is being used correctly;)).

I think the NATO screw-on ones look good and purposeful on both old & new though.