90 heater matrix/fan

the heater fan on my 90 has started grumbling quite alot (it started after going over a big bump too fast when it was running). i guess the bearings are buggered (has it got any?) or the shaft has become misaligned. it doesnt sound liek its catching the edges though.

It on a 200tdi.

So is the heater matrix and fan assembly one piece or can you just change just the fan assembly (my EPC has just packed up so i cant check that). Anyone know how much replacement parts are likely to be and MPN?? i am hoping they split as i dont want a new heater matrix!

Could you fit another smaller fan in the same location? eg a small std fin fan or would it struggle to achieve anything?

thanks in anticipation.

the heater fan on my 90 has started grumbling quite alot (it started after going over a big bump too fast when it was running). i guess the bearings are buggered (has it got any?) or the shaft has become misaligned. it doesnt sound liek its catching the edges though.

It on a 200tdi.

So is the heater matrix and fan assembly one piece or can you just change just the fan assembly (my EPC has just packed up so i cant check that). Anyone know how much replacement parts are likely to be and MPN?? i am hoping they split as i dont want a new heater matrix!

Could you fit another smaller fan in the same location? eg a small std fin fan or would it struggle to achieve anything?

thanks in anticipation.

fan is available as a seperate part. Its got brass olite bush bearings and is easy to strip and overhaul. Might be worth giving that a try 1st. However you need to remove the entire matrix/heater box to get the fan out... :angry:

I wouldn't try a smaller fan as it will be next to useless, you can make the existing one better by changing the fan resistor so it gives a faster slow blow (if u get what I mean..). It just so happens I do such a resistor conversion kit... PM's to the usual address :D

thanks Si, i will try and source some parts then. can anyone chuck up an EPC view of it? so i can get MPN.

ref the fan speed, mine only has two speeds anyway (or it did) max and off!

thanks Si, i will try and source some parts then. can anyone chuck up an EPC view of it? so i can get MPN.

ref the fan speed, mine only has two speeds anyway (or it did) max and off!

Aaah well, my kit will fix that as well!

When I bought a new motor for mine the parts chap sat both a genuine & pattern motors side by side on the counter and it was clear to see they were exactly the same item made in the same factory but the pattern one (Britpart I believe) was half the price. Needless to say I bought the pattern one and I seem to recall it was somewhere around £40 at the time, I wouldn't even consider a S/H one as they can have a limited life and you don't want to be doing the job again in a few months time.

Fitting is easy and can be completed in less than 2-hours however I recomened you buy new bulkhead seals before you start as the old ones are bound to be shot and if you use silicon (or similar) you will have trouble getting the unit out at a later date as it will be stuck to the bulkhead!. New foam-rubber seals are very cheap even as genuine items (less than a couple of £ each) and they make the job much easier.

The art is in getting the control cables correctly set up but it is worth getting it right as it makes an immense difference to the performance of the heater. All you have to do is make sure that the cable-inners are moving smoothly in the outers and that when the lever is at the end of its travel the flaps are also in the correct location, get it wrong and the heater will never produce the heat it should but get it right and you will be surprised how efficient a correctly working heater can be.

Si - fixes the fan bushes or the on/off only options?

It gives you back the 2nd speed buts it faster the the factory slow speed. The full on speed is as before. IIRC the brush assembly is the same as the wiper motor - its practically identical inside. Unless its been allowed to burn out, its probably just the bearing bushes that need lubricating. Ideally they should be removed and soaked overnight in light oil (3 in 1 will do) before refitting.

cheers for the input guys and cheers for the diagram Ralph.

looking at the diagram, surely if i take the wing side off i would be able to get the blower out without taking the matrix lump out then?

To be perfectly honest I would say that removing the outer wing-skin will take longer than removing the heater assembly complete. Removing the heater isn't a complex or long job, as far as I can recall it is only held in by four bolts.