Carling Switch wiring

Mo Murphy

Morning all,

I'm trying to wire up my simple on/off carling contura switches.

I can make the switch work no problem with the power in/out wires on pins 2 and 3 but what I can't get it to do is illuminate the "switch on" lamp.

If I put an earth on pin 8, it doesn't illuminate and if I put it on 7, it illuminates the lamp but the switch is then on regardless of rocker position.

Much puzzlement, I obviously have something wrong, please help - which wire goes where ?

Cheers

Electrical Numpty

Mo

Guest diesel_jim

I've not played with these switches yet, buy i'd have thought you'd need to "link" from the switched output across to the feed for the "on" bulb?

I've not played with these switches yet, buy i'd have thought you'd need to "link" from the switched output across to the feed for the "on" bulb?

Agree with Jim, Not used the Carling switches but on the PNG Britax ones I used I had to link from switch output to bulb on for the switch to illuminate when on. if that makes sense.

Take a link from the switched side of the switch ...ie the outgoing side so you have the item you need to be switched on and a fly lead (this will power the lamp when switched on)

connect this flylead to one side of the lamp, and the other to earth/ground

7 and 8 for the lamp IIRC :unsure:

mo what's the carling part number.

i've got the part number decoder here and it will at least tell you if you have the right switch.

are the switches SPST? if so you should only have 4 poles- the top 2 (or bottom depending on switch alignment) will supply power to the externally lit LED, whereas the internall lit LED is self powered- or will be if you have the right part. It's been 6-7 months since i last had a play with the multitude that i have lying around, but i should be able to help.

where did you get them?

Mo

Just when you thought you were sorted, this is how the Carling switch should work!

Accessory live in at No. 2

Out at No. 3

Earth is No. 7

Back Light live in at No.8

Number 3 is linked internally to power on light (small bar).

Just done a test on a couple of ON-OFF switches and they worked fine wired this way.

Hope this helps to get your 'back light lit'

Still got the switches & battery here on kitchen table if you need any further info.

Stuart

well this is a LOT better than the LRO forum, but it is going to cost me a lot of money I think!

I NEED some of those switches! I have just done a quick google to see what they look like.

Where did you get them from?

I have a hazzard light switch that is crying out to be replaced by one of those. :)

Carling does offer the legends, however, the snag is, the little symbol is not a replaceable part like the Eaton style of switch, nor can you order just the switch front/rocker as a stand alone item with the legend you want. You have to order the switches from Carling with the legends already pre-printed on them. We decided to stock just the non-legend switches only as it meant one switch could cover a multitude of applications. Another major advantage of unlabelled switches is that they're much cheaper!

Croytec sells the Carling switches with legends.

FYI We've been using/recommending this sticker sheet from Vehicle Wiring Products for switch installs. Does the job for less than £1.50

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/V...3/switch-3.html

A useful source of switches with symbols is this US outfit. According to their website, the switches will fit the Carling switch mounts we stock.

http://www.4x4mods.com/Product/Jeep/Rocker...erswitch40.html

Kev B

• 6 months later...
Guest diesel_jim

Does anyone know where to buy the multi plugs that fit onto the back of the carling switches? (like on th ARB looms) instead of having to use lots of spade connectors?

I'm making some looms up for my 110, and also modifying an old ARB loom (with the old push-button switches) to use the new rocker carlings, and want to keep it looking neat.

I had a quick look on mudstuff but couldn't see them listed anywhere.

anyone help? B)

Does anyone know where to buy the multi plugs that fit onto the back of the carling switches? (like on th ARB looms) instead of having to use lots of spade connectors?

I'm making some looms up for my 110, and also modifying an old ARB loom (with the old push-button switches) to use the new rocker carlings, and want to keep it looking neat.

I had a quick look on mudstuff but couldn't see them listed anywhere.

anyone help? B)

Hold Fire Jim. If you're prepared to wait, we should have the plugs by the end of the month.

Guest diesel_jim
Hold Fire Jim. If you're prepared to wait, we should have the plugs by the end of the month.

great! time is something i've got plenty of on this project.... i've not even started bolting stuff to the chassis yet, so sparky 'leccy things are waaaaay in the distance yet.

will they just be the moulded "plug" and a bag of solder on crimps?

great! time is something i've got plenty of on this project.... i've not even started bolting stuff to the chassis yet, so sparky 'leccy things are waaaaay in the distance yet.

will they just be the moulded "plug" and a bag of solder on crimps?

Good question! They're a moulded plug but don't know what comes with it or in what form until they land. I'll keep you posted!

FWIW: We'll also be stocking rubber 'soft touch' rockers.

Kev

Hijack alert!! :ph34r:

At some point in the future, I will be replacing my fan with Kenlowes. I want a switch that will do the following:

Fans on auto

Fans off (for wading!)

Fans overide on

I'm new to this switch malarky, so what would I need when it comes to on-off-on, mom-off etc etc. I would want a warning lights for two of the positions (not sure which yet) and would want it illuminated with the rest of the dash when the side/headlights are on.