Bob Tailed, how do we do the wings?

Jen

Mornin' all,

As some of you know, Dan's Rangie's now 12" shorter... he's working hard ensuring the chassis is perfect and repairing the rest of the vehicle at the moment (you know how it is, once you start you find 100 other jobs! :o:huh::rolleyes: ) and has given me the task of sorting the wings to go back on.

...I had one dismal attempt last night, I'm trying to shorten them by 12" and get a tidy joint to but onto the rear 1/4 ... and no, I can't weld aluminum :blink:

I tried by cutting the 12" off the end (which attaches to the rear 1/4) and marking the bend onto the wing then using the end as a template to bend the end of the wing over... seemed to make sense at the time but looks terrible. I know many of you have done this before, so any hint and tips would be greatly apprieciated (and quick, 'cos I want the garage to work on my series and we're due at Seven Sisters in November! :o:lol: ).

Thanks,

Jen

Cut 17" off mine earlier this year - its a 4 door 86. For the rear wings I cut them vertically about 1" in front of the flange where they join the rear quarter panel that houses the rear lights. Then unbolted the flange and you are left with the corner to fasten the new wing to. Then cut the remainder off the rear of the front wing ie in my case 16" ie 1" on flange + 16" on wing = 17" I was shortening it by. You then need to ensure that the flange fits neatly inside the end of the shortened wing panel. Once you are happy use Tiger Seal - a body adhesive available from all good car panel factors , to join the 2 together - I used about 6 small strong clamps to hold them tightly together. The ones that operate like sealant guns are ideal. Leave overnight for the Tiger Seal to cure then repeat for other side.

Bolt back to rear corner section and bolt back on car! I used a domestic jig saw to do the cutting and a hand file to ensure a good fit.

Jen,

PM me an email address and I send you some instructions that I was given.

Also, PM fruity as he did the folding of my wings for me and did a damn fine job of it!

AND You'll regret 12" - I took off 15" and still caught the ar$e once at Slindon! :blink:

My original fuel tank is in the back and there is plenty of room for gear and a spare.

Thanks Bish, PM on it's way :)

...I think he'll regret 12" as well, but hey. He wants to keep the cab as is and still fit the spare in the back... we'll see. I'll just get on with my series so I can use that when he takes his off the road to shorten it again! lol! :rolleyes:;):D

Its a lot of work for 12" - mines cut back 17" - Fuel tank from a Merc 190 inside the tailgate and you can still get a spare between Tank and seat if you want. Mine's got a fuel can - V8 and dicky guage!

17" means panel lines up nicely on the corner back of wheelarch and looks ok - but very little overhang!

Ah, you'll be requiring the patented "fruityomatic" bobtailrearwingflangefolding devices.....................

......................... or, in simple english, the 2 hardwood sandwich jigs I made up :D

I'll pm them with a tepholone number and we'll discuss "terms" :blink:

i dunno how many inches i cut off, but when i bobbed my rangie for trialing, i just took the rear wing out complete, and stuck the rear corner panels and tailgate back on directly behind the rear doors - you aint gona catch the a$$ end on that! im soz i dont have any pics on this comp, but just as an idea, the tailgate was basically directly above the rear axle, lost the rear seats and mounted a diesel tank from an old MF35 tractor in a steel trunk in the boot. Awsome bit of kit that was!

Bloomin right it's a lot of work!

I'm kinda workin on the theory that with the body lift as well, then it should be ok. Either way, it'll be better than the full length overhang I've had to put up with for the past several years! :rolleyes:

But having now done the chassis chop and rear tub shortening, it's easy enough to do. :) So if it does get re-bobbed, then at least I'll know what I'm doing second time around instead of just pissing in the wind! :D:lol: