Roll Cage Hoop X-bracing design

I'm not getting my knickers in a twist and it looks like you're doing a great job. But to someone else reading your post, they might just assume that "it'll do" with poor bends/design, and not do the design/fabrication properly (which it looks like you've done).

At the moment, there are lots of people building cages that aren't properly designed, with bent stays, tubes not meeting properly at nodes, untriangulated areas etc, and while these are probably (and have been proven to be) strong enough, if they were just copied, there could be potential for disaster. That's why I always recommend that (and build) cages to the MSA specs, as they are proven design principles.

Many thanks and very well put. Does the Arc book make any recommendations re Cages?

http://www.alrc.co.uk/new%20regulations/rbindex.htm

Lawrence. You can read the ARC regs on cages on this link. I used it as a basis for mine (with some modification!) in conjunction with comments taken on board from this thread, and from looking at what is out there being used by the top teams on the challenge scene. I also had some good sound advice from friends made via this forum who even went as far as to ring me to talk it through. Thanks :)

ALRC regs are based on MSA specs, but with no freedom with respect to how the front hoop is formed, and quite specific with respect to outriggers/mounting the cage with spreader plates etc. You won't go wrong with either, and if there are any major questions, speak to an experienced builder or one of the MSA scrutineers. Even if you are not planning on competing, they are still interested in general safety, and will be glad to help.

The other thing to consider is that although you may not need the cage for competion now (or your rules do not require one) but you may want to compete or the rules may require a cage in the future, so if it done to conform to the regs now, you won't need to cut the thing up and start again.

When I did the comper, I spoke to our scrutineeer several times to check he was happy with what I was doing, and so that there weren't any nasty surprises at scrutineering. Having seen a grown man virtually in tears, cos his lovingly crafted racer had been built with tubing that was too small and didn't conform, I wouldn't wish it on anybody. :)

Toby