12v plug and socket ideas.

nige90

As the title.

I'm after something better than ciggy sockets. Maybe something

along the lines of the sockets on a series dash but would prefer

a two pole unit rather than separate +/-ve.

I considered phono jack plugs unless there's a better option.

I quite like XLR connectors, especially the metal locking variety.

BW89.jpgBW90X.jpg

They're good for 15A, they don't come loose or fall out and i quite like having 3 pins. common ground, switched live and permanent live, of course you don't have to do it like that, but it's useful.

In a similar vein, standard D connectors are good for ~5A per pin and are cheap and plentiful, can be had in IP67 and locking etc. you could use 9-pin ones and common the pins into two rows, or have switched live / permanent live etc. on different pins.

i've never got on with that style.

I've never had a problem with XLRs, the locking tab keeps them secure.

The Din connectors above are not the best try and get Britax ones as used on JCB Equipment much better quality.

Another vote for 3-pin XLR's here. I like the permanent and switched live. They can be had in 2-pin form if required...

Here the panel I made up for the lightweight:

dropper1.JPG

The socket in the middle is a standard fag lighter socket, but it came from a caravan place, so has a degree of waterproofness. I tend to always use Neutrik XLR's too, rather than some of the cheaper ones, and have never had a problem.

I'd go with XLRs too. even the cheap plastic ones are more robust than a lot of the cigarette lighter plugs/ sockets.

Neutrix ones are great- they have a clever, secure cable grip and don't need fiddly little screws like some of the other makes

C0213.jpg

C0211.jpg

C0214.jpg

DIN connectors are a tried and tested alternative. XLR are not reliable in the vehicle environment (don't like vibrations).

Hmmmmmmmmmmm ................ I'm not so sure that is a DIN plug as I cant find anything in my reference material to suggest that it has been standardized by Deutsches Institut für Normung. I have always known these by the name of hella plugs and IIRC they carry a Hella patent.

Yes, these plugs are a vast improvement over the standard cig lighter adapter plug, but they are not anywhere even remotely near the quality of XLR. I think you will find that XLR also has a MIL standard.

Imitated by many, but the best buy will always be a genuine Cannon XLR, however, these were never designed to be power plugs............ they were designed to be high broadcast quality audio plugs and sockets ............ originally known as the cannon 'X' range.

History lesson over......... :rolleyes:

:)

Ian

Hmmmmmmmmmmm ................ I'm not so sure that is a DIN plug as I cant find anything in my reference material to suggest that it has been standardized by Deutsches Institut für Normung.

Ian,

It's DIN standard (DIN # 72591)

Yes, these plugs are a vast improvement over the standard cig lighter adapter plug, but they are not anywhere even remotely near the quality of XLR.

XLR may be better than a cig connector or the DIN cig connector but it's not as good as MIL standard connectors, eg. MIL-C 5015 screw thread military multipole connectors.

It's about function vs price vs interchangeability. You can easily use a device with the red nosed DIN plug in a standard cig socket in any other car, but a device with a XLR connector will only fit another car with a matching XLR socket or an audio power amp :-)

You can easily use a device with the red nosed DIN plug in a standard cig socket in any other car

That's their downfall, as far as i'm concerned. The design has been compromised in order that they still work with 'cigar lighter' sockets.

I've worked with XLRs in the audio environment, and also with lighting, in their 5-pin variety (DMX), but i still think they're nicely suited to this application too.

C0213.jpg

C0211.jpg

C0214.jpg

DIN connectors are a tried and tested alternative. XLR are not reliable in the vehicle environment (don't like vibrations).

Hi,

For info the above are to DIN ISO 4165, available in 8A & 16A versions.... of variable quality. Available from RS for anyone with an account.

Cheers,

Andy

I've melted both versions <_< with a fridge that draws ~4A :o the current ratings are never what they say, even the expensive ones. The fuse seems to heat up and melt the tip, also the small point of contact caused by the tip creates a hot spot, file it down a bit and they last longer.

A mate of mine who designs very secret stuff has had a huge battle with these as he was trying to draw ~15A continuous, he has bought and melted every type, flavour and colour of cig lighter plug & socket on the market (and some that aren't) and none of them will take the abuse despite claiming 16A+ capacity.

That's their downfall, as far as i'm concerned. The design has been compromised in order that they still work with 'cigar lighter' sockets.

Britax PMG do a plug That Only fits DIN Sockets not a cig socket these are much better than the combo plugs. The DIN only plugs are whats found on Plant machinery.

So, once its a 'one type only' plug, why not just use something better like an XLR? :huh:

How can you have a DIN ISO number - they're two seperate setups, DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung) , and ISO (International Standards Organisation), I'm guessing 4165 is ISO and 72591 is DIN?

So, once its a 'one type only' plug, why not just use something better like an XLR? :huh:

How can you have a DIN ISO number - they're two seperate setups, DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung) , and ISO (International Standards Organisation), I'm guessing 4165 is ISO and 72591 is DIN?

Luke,

I'm not having a go, just pointing out that there is an alternative to those stupid cheap combination plugs. In my oppinion the proper DIN plug and sockets made by Britax PMG which are better tha the Hella ones are absolutely fine for most applications where just a plug and socket is required. they are also tried and tested on many makes of heavy plant agricultural machinery too. like everything there are different grades and they come at different costs!

In reply to why not use simething better like an XLR I can only answer this as to why I wouldn't use one and its as simple as this, I often take the beacons and illuminated marker boards off the landy and wack em on the tractor or trailer. so its easier to buy good quality DIN sockets and fit to landy stuff than have to change all sockets on various plant and machinery I have to operate.

Matt

so its easier to buy good quality DIN sockets and fit to landy stuff than have to change all sockets on various plant and machinery I have to operate.

Fair point, if you've got other stuff that uses DIN, it makes sense.

So far, we've got a couple of boats, a van and the 90 on XLRs, so the same logic applies. :)