ARB compressor

jules

I was thinking about puting it where the spare lives as the spare cant live inside any more.

I would assume that under the bonnet will get too muddy.

any other suggestions or expiriances :)

In will probubly have a secondary compressor/ air system for the tyres.

I had mine on the drivers side (opposite the spare) with the air line going through the blanking plate that is on the inner wing.

Only problem with this is if you do go into any deep water it is likely to be submerged as you exit.

don't recall if there is a blanking plate on the spare side or not....

Another idea is to mount it to the back of the cubby box, but it would be prone to being kicked if you are carrying passengers frequently...

Jules,

Why bother going to the expense of an ARB compressor when theres already one bolted under the sill??

If you want the ARB one it depends which model you've got - if its the old model I'd stick it inside somewhere. If its the new one with the snorkle it should be fine under the bonnet as they're supposedly submersible.

I'd look for space in the boot behind the trim panels on either side.

Jon

I have the old ARB one from the 90 so for ease I will get the twin lockers up and running with that.

I would like to use the cars existing compressor as it seams a waste but I don't know were to start and my wiring reputation leaves some what to be desired. :lol:

I have the old ARB one from the 90 so for ease I will get the twin lockers up and running with that.

I would like to use the cars existing compressor as it seams a waste but I don't know were to start and my wiring reputation leaves some what to be desired. :lol:

Ah fair enough - easier then as you can just use the ARB loom unmodified then.

So you want to use the rangie air comp it just to run an airtool or tyre inflator or summat?

If so re-wiring it to run less air ecu is an easy 5 minute job.

You need to do a bit of re-wiring under the drivers seat. Get hold of the wiring loom where it comes out of the air ecu and find the grey/yellow wire and the grey/blue wire. Cut them and join them (on the wide that goes into the rest of the car not the side that goes to the ecu plug.

Then find the compressor relay. If you look under the right hand seat rail you should find 3x relays. The white time delay one (that you know about), then the next one moving towards the front of the vehicle should be a yellow one (yellow holder aswell) and the front one should be a green one. You need the middle (yellow one). Look at the wires going into it - there should be a fat brown wire and a fat purple and orange wire plus two thin wires going into it. If you're careful you can unclip the two plastic bits from the of it and it'll allow you to pull the wires out. You need to move the brown wire from its current position in the holder to the spare position on the holder (the middle one IIRC). Put the holder back together. Replace the yellow 4 pin relay with a green 5 pin one.

Hey presto you'll now find that when you switch the ignition on the compressor will run until the pressure switch cuts it out. It'll then run as the pressure drops (ign on) and will maintain the tank pressurised. Just find a suitable location for screwing in an airline fitting and job is done.

If you dont feel happy doing that then give me a shout and I'll gladly do it for you. Its what i had to do on mine to get the pump to run when the ECU refused to make the pump run!

Cheers

Jon

Do you want one of the water proof ones that will let you put it under the bonnett. And put a snorkle on it :)

Gives me somthing to buy you for your birthday :)

Compressor_compact.jpg

Ah fair enough - easier then as you can just use the ARB loom unmodified then.

So you want to use the rangie air comp it just to run an airtool or tyre inflator or summat?

If so re-wiring it to run less air ecu is an easy 5 minute job.

You need to do a bit of re-wiring under the drivers seat. Get hold of the wiring loom where it comes out of the air ecu and find the grey/yellow wire and the grey/blue wire. Cut them and join them (on the wide that goes into the rest of the car not the side that goes to the ecu plug.

Then find the compressor relay. If you look under the right hand seat rail you should find 3x relays. The white time delay one (that you know about), then the next one moving towards the front of the vehicle should be a yellow one (yellow holder aswell) and the front one should be a green one. You need the middle (yellow one). Look at the wires going into it - there should be a fat brown wire and a fat purple and orange wire plus two thin wires going into it. If you're careful you can unclip the two plastic bits from the of it and it'll allow you to pull the wires out. You need to move the brown wire from its current position in the holder to the spare position on the holder (the middle one IIRC). Put the holder back together. Replace the yellow 4 pin relay with a green 5 pin one.

Hey presto you'll now find that when you switch the ignition on the compressor will run until the pressure switch cuts it out. It'll then run as the pressure drops (ign on) and will maintain the tank pressurised. Just find a suitable location for screwing in an airline fitting and job is done.

If you dont feel happy doing that then give me a shout and I'll gladly do it for you. Its what i had to do on mine to get the pump to run when the ECU refused to make the pump run!

Cheers

Jon

Thanks

I may take you up on the offer

have you had time to get your ECU and relay in and working.

Thanks

I may take you up on the offer

have you had time to get your ECU and relay in and working.

No probs - just give me a shout if need be.

Not yet - I had a dead multifunction unit also so I decided to leave it until I have that. (missus just said postman delivered it this morning) so with a bit of luck i'll have it sorted tonight!

Cheers

Jon