OT: Container shipping

v8bertha

A tip I got from a chap who used to export LR's was to park it on four old tyres to stop it moving about.

Yes mine broke the tie down ratchets straps last time.

Greg Cams boys in Namibia nail 4x4 to the floor behind the back and in front of the front wheels as well as strapping down.

I can't take extra tyres. Unless you know a way of keeping them off the Carnet ?? :rolleyes:

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

I have had some fun and games with shipping my car to Kuala lumpur in Malaysia. Exept it never arrived... The ship got delayed because of a storm and decided to skip KL in favour of keeping some other customers happy in Singapore. This was about 300miles wrong, but luckily overland. We went to get the car and were waiting 12 hours for customs clearance. we arrived in kuala lumpur just hours before the RFC scrutineering.

In hindsight I would have shipped it a week or two earlyer and would have kept an eye on things, rather than just expect things to happen by themselfs. Another important point is marine insurance: Containers do go overboard and when this happens the captain might apologize when youre lucky, but thats it! So that is important insurance which you have to have.

Daan

True Daan. Containers do go over the side.

Air lines. Train companies, bus companies. In fact any transport operator has nothing on the shipping people. Time just does not exist for them.

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

park it on four old tyres to stop it moving about.

Mm, not sure we could do this, there's not going to be much room for driving onto things once we're in the container... heights going to be a bit tight with the Camel I think.

We're planning on keeping as closer eye on the ship as possible and being there well before it is due to arrive so we can pick up on any problems. We will make sure it's well insured and should anything go wrong we'll be buying an old Mustang and motelling it around the USA lol! :D