Red diesel

101nut

I was told today that by the end of next year (I believe) duty free 'red' diesel is to be removed from Britain.

How the hell are those using red diesel going to put up with that? Construction plant, machinery, generators, farm equipment and machinery, diesel trains (I believe) all run duty free and the only way to pay for it is to increase prices of goods and services to the consumer ... poor old us, we'll have to pay more tax again ...

AndyG

"to come into line with the rest of Europe"

But where all these industries apply for a rebate on the tax they have paid on the diesel. Provided this is the way it will be done then the only problems will be in administration and policing. Just wonder how they are going to work it. And think of all the extra beaurocracy it will involve!

On a similar note they were talking about doing away with kerosene heating oil as the rest of Europe uses a heavier oil for heating (between kero and diesel).

Guest diesel_jim
Yup, it's a rebate system. Everyone pays the full rate for diesel, then those entitled to running tax-exempt (construction, agriculture, boats etc..) can then apply for a refund at the end of the year.

Bloody ludicrous...

Yeah, my dad has experienced this with his boat. boats can run on red, but they're stopping it, and they will have to pay "road duty".... so how the f**k do this gov't think that they upkeep the sea?

Labour has "offered" that boats/plant etc will be able to purchase the fuel at the legal minimum amount allowed by Europe...77p a litre.... so why can't WE car drivers buy it at this price also?

The best thing we could do is leave the sodding EU, all we ever get is the cr@p out of the back end, hardly every any of the perks of it, just because this lame government won't stand up to them.

I think i'll buy a one way ticket to Bogmonsters place!!!

Yeah, my dad has experienced this with his boat. boats can run on red, but they're stopping it, and they will have to pay "road duty".... so how the f**k do this gov't think that they upkeep the sea?

Labour has "offered" that boats/plant etc will be able to purchase the fuel at the legal minimum amount allowed by Europe...77p a litre.... so why can't WE car drivers buy it at this price also?

The best thing we could do is leave the sodding EU, all we ever get is the cr@p out of the back end, hardly every any of the perks of it, just because this lame government won't stand up to them.

hear hear !

Mo

Worse yet, as soon as leisure boaters started talking about using bio-diesel (taxed at 3ppl for off-road use IIRC) instead of red, the government announced that bio for off-road use would be taxed at the same rate as road bio. :angry: Green or money grabbing?

Chris

Worse yet, as soon as leisure boaters started talking about using bio-diesel (taxed at 3ppl for off-road use IIRC) instead of red, the government announced that bio for off-road use would be taxed at the same rate as road bio. :angry: Green or money grabbing?

Chris

they make me so mad....

is there any end to this, we are taxed to death i cant wait till may 6th

they make me so mad....

is there any end to this, we are taxed to death i cant wait till may 6th

know why i am over here now :D:D

mind you say that Aus does not have red diesel. Farmers and constuction and boats owners buy fuel at the same price that everyone esle does and then the goverment gives them the tax money back . So same sort of thing but stops people putting red diesel in there road car. So there fore no need for checking

I mean who would be stupid enough to run there car on red diesel on the road whistling2.gifwhistling2.gif:D

IIRC to come into line with the rest of Europe, where red diesel doesn't exist.

Over here there is green diesel, (exactly the same as red, apart from colour!) and there is no plans to phase that out here at the moment...

as far as the UK and the EU go, a small piece of legislation comes out of the EU, which is basically open to interpritation by each country, then it gets guilded by each government. The brittish government piles soo much cr@p on at this point, and blames the EU!

we dont have half the problems the UK does, because the UK is always trying to fight against the EU and blame it.

Where does Bogmonster live??

So if I put 50ltrs of Diesel in the car, 10ltrs in the boat and 20ltrs in the off road toy......

I then claim 30ltrs worth of tax back......oh hang on, how's HMCE going to know how much I used where?

I could If I was unscrupulous cliam back for say........80ltrs!

Nah, no one woud do that would they :rolleyes:

Nigel

So if I put 50ltrs of Diesel in the car, 10ltrs in the boat and 20ltrs in the off road toy......

I then claim 30ltrs worth of tax back......oh hang on, how's HMCE going to know how much I used where?

I could If I was unscrupulous cliam back for say........80ltrs!

Nah, no one woud do that would they :rolleyes:

Nigel

I have a mate who has a several thousand ltr tanks at his house and another 2 at his yard > He owns a constuction company. Now how would they tell what was going in his car and what was going in his diggers.After all guess what was going into his Range Rover Diesel when the fulel strike was on . :D:D:D

I have a mate who has a several thousand ltr tanks at his house and another 2 at his yard > He owns a constuction company. Now how would they tell what was going in his car and what was going in his diggers.After all guess what was going into his Range Rover Diesel when the fulel strike was on . :D:D:D

Well can hardly claim 3 several thousand ltr tanks where for personal use only. LOL

Have heard rumours LPG is going to be taxed even more now more people are using it

I work in the bus industry. We get money back on fuel that is used on scheduled services. We have to keep a record of mileage by vehicle and its fueling to be able to claim back this rebate. We have to provide an estimate up front on fuel usage for the year. We are then paid the rebate in four quarterly installements with an adjustment at the end of the year for the real mileage and fuel used. Reading between the lines it looks like this is what they are going to do.