Removable roof panels.

Exmoor Beast

I have been mulling over a few ideas for the 110 now the Mini is finally ready for MOT.

I have an overwhelming desire for a soft-top but its just not an option as I need the roof to transport stuff. So what I was thinking was, how about making removable roof panels? not sure how it would work at the moment, maybe screw-down panels of chequerplate that could be whipped out using the cordless drill in a few minutes.

I just thought I would throw the idea in the pit and see what you lot thought?

Will :)

I was thinking of chequerplating the roof anyway Kev, a spend a lot of time stood up there and its getting a bit wonky!

I wasn't thinking of doing any of it properly obviously, just blutac and mismatched screws where possible.

Will ;)

take a look at Corrodefingers thread as he has done something similar "Another Shires 100' Kingcab" in Members vehicles

As i have been mentioned, and i think i am the only person on here who has done( await for the tidal wave of counterproof).

Here is the pics of the roof and its 'targa' panel.

Checker plate might be a PITA, as its thick and wont bend, its surprising how 'unflat' the roof is, only notice its profiles when its chopped up!

Closeup of roof with panel out.

post-2166-1177002603_thumb.jpg

This is the inside of the cab, with the panel in.

post-2166-1177002675_thumb.jpg

Before anyone comments, yes the cage is unpainted, and no its not finished, and its function is to provide a mounting place for seat belts as the cab is extended.

The bar that runs across the roof fixed to the white roof panel, is there to support the edge of the existing roof where it had been cut, without it, it flexed more than a well known credit card tag line!

The 'targa' panel is actually a piece of rolled galv sheet, about the same thickness as the ally roof, fairly thin.

It is held in with bolts and 'S' section piece of channel. The piece at the front allows the roof to slot in, and stops the wind getting under it, at the back a similar piece is employed with bolts, and fitted tight to the rear of the targa panel. It cant go anywhere. The sides are then held down, on the curves with more bolts at the back and front to stop it flapping.

I had wanted to use over centre catches, but due to the way it was done, we could not get them to work. These catches would have been fitted internally( got the 100mm ones from towbar services) but had to give this idea up in the end.

As i have been mentioned, and i think i am the only person on here who has done( await for the tidal wave of counterproof).

Here is the pics of the roof and its 'targa' panel.

Checker plate might be a PITA, as its thick and wont bend, its surprising how 'unflat' the roof is, only notice its profiles when its chopped up!

Closeup of roof with panel out.

post-2166-1177002603_thumb.jpg

This is the inside of the cab, with the panel in.

post-2166-1177002675_thumb.jpg

Before anyone comments, yes the cage is unpainted, and no its not finished, and its function is to provide a mounting place for seat belts as the cab is extended.

The bar that runs across the roof fixed to the white roof panel, is there to support the edge of the existing roof where it had been cut, without it, it flexed more than a well known credit card tag line!

The 'targa' panel is actually a piece of rolled galv sheet, about the same thickness as the ally roof, fairly thin.

It is held in with bolts and 'S' section piece of channel. The piece at the front allows the roof to slot in, and stops the wind getting under it, at the back a similar piece is employed with bolts, and fitted tight to the rear of the targa panel. It cant go anywhere. The sides are then held down, on the curves with more bolts at the back and front to stop it flapping.

I had wanted to use over centre catches, but due to the way it was done, we could not get them to work. These catches would have been fitted internally( got the 100mm ones from towbar services) but had to give this idea up in the end.

good idea and tidy job