Side Lights

Hi All.

I not sure if this is Australian spec or export spec but my 110 1996 Landrover Defenders lights have a toggle switch and I always thought that the first position was for side lights and the second position was for full lights with full beam on the indicator stalk? But mine go first to full lights and second is the same with the indicator stalk operating full beam! is this a switch problem? the side lights come on with the ignition off when the toggle is switched on!

Anyone similar or is it just export spec? Any advise would be good

Thanks tedsmart (or not so)

Certainly doesn't sound right, on some vehicle there is a dimdip headlight system fitted which gives sidelights with headlights on at 10% of full power, these are to prevent the vehicle driving in towns/built up areas on sidelights only, my 1989 110CSW has this system fitted, seems yours has too.

so

1st position -- side & dimdip headlights plus flash & main on indicator stalk

2nd position side & normal dip beam headlights & as above for flash & main

sidelights should come on when ignition off for side of road parking at night.

hope that helps :D

• 1 month later...
Certainly doesn't sound right, on some vehicle there is a dimdip headlight system fitted which gives sidelights with headlights on at 10% of full power, these are to prevent the vehicle driving in towns/built up areas on sidelights only, my 1989 110CSW has this system fitted, seems yours has too.

so

1st position -- side & dimdip headlights plus flash & main on indicator stalk

2nd position side & normal dip beam headlights & as above for flash & main

sidelights should come on when ignition off for side of road parking at night.

hope that helps :D

Thanks, :unsure: Ive now got to the bottom of it after driving down to redland bay to look at a roof rack when the lights failed in the middle of nowhere! After taking the light switch apart only to find that it had worn down the contacts so it was making contact with two contacts at once!!!

What a way to find out!!!!