York aircon compressor

The ones I have seen, I am looking for, are not the same. The pump is a more up right design. looks like this http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/york-manual/pdf/4.pdf

Paul

That is the one that Rog has fitted to his rangy.

But i would also say that they were probably never a factory fit, but more of a retro fit by dealers and the aftermarket, but there are (or used to be) an awfull lot of them out there on rangie's.

Will somebody please back me up here! :blink::blink:

The york (with its own sump) WAS fitted to Range Rovers!

I have one, it works, etc etc I did the following This modification

I will have to start looking at old RR then :rolleyes: Just I have never seen one on a RR that I have ever seen. I will have a good read of that/your site as well. Thanks.

Paul

Paul, is there a particular reason that you want a York? The Sanden which is the most common air con fitment on Land rovers, rangies and discos works very well for on board air and all the parts to fit it are readily available.

There is a lot of misleading info on the net about the suitability of the Sanden as opposed to the York.

I believe the Sanden SD709 can produce up to around 9 cfm. It is lubricated by lubricant in the refrigerant, BUT when the sytem is serviced/set up, the compressor itself is filled with a set quantity of oil. There is a fill plug on the top of the compressor (when in the fitted position). This is the Sanden's 'sump'. It is the area of the pump where the wobble plate, rods and pistons are situated. There is a small passage linking this to the head area which is how some of the oil circulates with the refrigerant.

The valves are simple flaps of stainless steel and require virtually no lubricant at all.

Many people (not all)who run York systems (including Kilby enterprises who make York Onboard air systems) find that the Yorks spit a lot of oil into the air, and as a result need an expensive coalescing filter to remove this oil from the air, as well as an oiler to lubricate the valves. In fact Kilby enterprises reckon that so much oil is spat into the air, that a return line from the coalescing filter is recommended to stop the filter overfilling and the York from running dry when in extended use!

The Sanden can easily be filled with grease through the fill plug instead of oil. It puts no oil into the air like this and there is no need for either a coalescing filter, or an inline oiler on the intake. A quick squirt of a wd 40 type oil into the intake everynow and then is all that is required at the very most.

All systems do create a bit of condensation, but provided you drain the tank regularly, it is not a problem.

I have fitted a SD709 Sanden to my 2.5 petrol for onboard air. I have a tiny 4 litre tank, and yet it will fill a 235/85x16 tyre from completely flat to 32psi in 25 seconds. This is very fast.

I did fit a filter to the airline at the tool end to check if any oil or water could get in the tyres. I have never had anything in the filter. I drain any moisture out of the tank before and after every play day.

I don't mean to put you off having a York system, they are obviously very popular and very good.

But if you are struggling to get all the right brackets bits etc, don't discount the easily available Sanden, which may end up being a simpler, cheaper, lighter set up.

Have fun!

Regards,

Diff

Thanks for the info Diff. I am still looking into it and doing a lot of reading. For now its just for the tyres, but maybe more. As I have said I have looked for 12V electric pumps, but it means spending a lot. Do you have any pictures of your fitted?

Paul

Edit to add,

One of the problems I do find is working out/finding out what the CFM and working PSI of the pumps is.

Thanks for the info Diff. I am still looking into it and doing a lot of reading. For now its just for the tyres, but maybe more. As I have said I have looked for 12V electric pumps, but it means spending a lot. Do you have any pictures of your fitted?

Paul

Yes, I have some pics, somewhere, I will see if I can dig them out some time.

You will never get anywhere near the same performance with 12volts unless you use something like an Oasis which is basically a York powered by a winch motor.

Incidently the oil in the air problem with the York can be addressed to some extent using the method at the crank outlined in the link provided by istruggletogate11. Much easier is to whip the head off and block the other end of the passage with a self tapper or similar.

Regards,

Diff

As I added its getting what the PSI and CMF output of the pumps thats hard to find. As when I do fit it I only want to do it once. Making the brakets is not a problem. Once made I will get them all made out of stainless steel ( I know someone :)) An a tank is ok as I still know people who still work at the place I use to work at that make tanks. So a custom tank for where I want to fit it would not be a problem.

But as I say still looking at for now so any input is fine by me :)

Paul

As I added its getting what the PSI and CMF output of the pumps thats hard to find. As when I do fit it I only want to do it once. Making the brakets is not a problem. Once made I will get them all made out of stainless steel ( I know someone :)) An a tank is ok as I still know people who still work at the place I use to work at that make tanks. So a custom tank for where I want to fit it would not be a problem.

But as I say still looking at for now so any input is fine by me :)

Paul

If you have a look at this pdf document on performance comparisons between various 12v compressors, onboard air (york) and various CO2 tanks, you will get a good idea of the performance differences. The York onboard air looks a little slower than the Oasis and the CO2 systems, until you see that the york onboard air test was done at idle speed. It is normal practice to raise engine revs to 2000rpm for fast inflation, in which case the york onboard air is as fast as the CO2 systems, and a Sanden system will be about the same.

You will see that 12v compressors, apart from the winch motor powered Oasis, are MUCH slower, it is also worth noting that it will be very hard to power any airtools with a 12v compressor without a big tank, which will take a LONG time to fill.

http://www.offroadair.net/4WD-0502-Air-82-85.pdf

Regards,

Diff

I work for York refridgeration (now owned by Johnson Controls) you will find York compressors fitted to some HGVs, so it might be worth going to a HGV breakers.. don't forget the electric clutch might be 24V though....

Matt.

Guest diesel_jim

Paul, are you after a york 210?

like: (one of my ones)

post-130-1177237467_thumb.jpg

here's one attached to a 2.5 NA diesel:

post-130-1177237447_thumb.jpg

To find info on what specification york you have, go here to one of the American jeep OBA (On Board Air) sites, they have a wealth of good info on them.

Guest diesel_jim
Paul, I think some of the bigger volvos and jags from the 80s had York compressors.

Regards,

Diff

I've heard that the volvo's did too. certainly the American ones did, so i can't see that there would be much difference over here.

Thanks Jim. I know what to look for now, the bigger the better:).

I will have to do the local scrap yards next weekend to see what I can fine. Still not if its best to go for the york or the Sanden one. Will see what I can find.

Also can I fill the compressor with grease. As I have some non-melting grease here? Use to use it in a place I use to work on smelt pots.

Paul

Guest diesel_jim

I don't know about grease, i thought they needed a thin oil (the Yorks, that is).

The sanden rotary type can be converted to have a grease nipple in the middle (or a Zerk fitting as the yanks call them :rolleyes: )