Why are my axles different?

I'm currently stripping some 2002 TD5 90 Axles, this is all fine however i ordered parts for the rebuild that needed replacement before i took them apart in anticipation.

So why is it now i am stripping them down they dont match what Microcat said they would, or indeed the workshop manuals for either TD5 or 300Tdi?

Guest diesel_jim
Thats the later type called a stake nut, swap the stubaxles over & use the original 2 nuts & lock washer.

Ralph, does one have to swap the whole stub axle over? or could just the locknuts be swapped?

IIRC the stub for the stake nut has a groove cut in it so the nut can be locked once torqued up & bearing end float is correct, the 2 types of stub 1 has a groove for the lock washer tab to fit in & 1 is a D section with a D hole lock washer, my 110 has the 'D' type stubaxles, not seen the others close up.

Have had a few of these apart lately. It's not necessary to change the stub axle. The stub for the stake nut has the flat and not the groove. You can either just replace with the 2 nuts and lock washer. If you need to adjust the bearings, you will need to remove the spacer inbetween the two bearings and set it up the old way.

Stuart

Have had a few of these apart lately. It's not necessary to change the stub axle. The stub for the stake nut has the flat and not the groove. You can either just replace with the 2 nuts and lock washer. If you need to adjust the bearings, you will need to remove the spacer inbetween the two bearings and set it up the old way.

Stuart

If i keep them set up as they are, how do i reasemble them to the correct settings as i have no manual telling me what to tighten to what settings!?

Using the same shims/spacers that come out will mean that everything is set up ok. You tighten hub nut to 20 lbs/ft, rotate and push pull hub to seat bearings and then tighten to 150 lbs/ft or just friggin tight ;);)

Drive member bolts are tightened to 48 lbs/ft. btw the manual recommends replacing hub nut and drive member bolts each time - up to you ;)

I'll look up pages on Rave for you this evening and give you page numbers, IIRC they are under Front and rear suspension in 1999 supplement.

Cheers

Steve

If i keep them set up as they are, how do i reasemble them to the correct settings as i have no manual telling me what to tighten to what settings!?

Torque wrench set to 15Nm, job done. If you need any spare nuts give me a shout :)

Cheers guys, most appreciated, however is it 150ft/lbs or 15nm cos they are VERY different :unsure:

Sorry, my mistake, :rolleyes: snug it to 15nm, then torque to 200nm when the bearings are settled. At least this is what we get told and what GTR says ;) But then again, someone else probably knows better