255*85 16 tyres

Peterla

I have a disco 200tdi that is gradually being setup as the budget allows.

I have a 2inch lift already but am looking to fit some 255*85 tyres.

I know some (lots) of body work will be required to my 2-Door.

Has anyone done this and got some info on how much needs to be done?

I know it will effect my gearing also so I have a lower range tranfer box to fit.

Thanks

Pete

I know it will effect my gearing also so I have a lower range tranfer box to fit.

Thanks

Pete

I wouldn't say lots of work has to be done really, you already have the lift which is most of the expense.

Maybe a bit of trimming around the front quarter bumper and then the infamous Camel Cut at the back.

I have 265/75 16's on my 3 Door. A 2 inch ride height adjustment, spacers and fender flares was all that was needed to get good results. You're luck it's not a 5 door...they are a pig to fit flares to.

Here's my 98 3Door...complete with the latest in LPG roof mounted tanks!

I couldn't comment about your gearing on 85's though...

Edited to add....why the two pictures!??

post-264-1177336532_thumb.jpg

post-264-1177336606_thumb.jpg

i have just fitted 235/85 machos with 30mm wheel spacers. I havent tried them offroad yet but i have had to cut the front behind the wheel. and the front and rear body at the rear wheel. this is on a 5 door

I wouldn't say lots of work has to be done really, you already have the lift which is most of the expense.

Maybe a bit of trimming around the front quarter bumper and then the infamous Camel Cut at the back.

I have 265/75 16's on my 3 Door. A 2 inch ride height adjustment, spacers and fender flares was all that was needed to get good results. You're luck it's not a 5 door...they are a pig to fit flares to.

Here's my 98 3Door...complete with the latest in LPG roof mounted tanks!

I couldn't comment about your gearing on 85's though...

Edited to add....why the two pictures!??

When you say spacers that is to space the rim out?

The flares then extend the guard coverage.

Any idea on where i can get these items from

Thanks for the comments

but am looking to fit some 255*85 tyres.

Just out of interest which make/style of tyres were you thinking off...

I have been toying with idea of 33X10.5 and a def transfer box (to drop the high range gearing)

When you say spacers that is to space the rim out?

The flares then extend the guard coverage.

Any idea on where i can get these items from

Thanks for the comments

Correct on point # 1. I put the spacers to help fill out the arches basicly. It looked a bit goofy otherwise with the flares fitted.

Correct on point # 2. When fitting the flares you have to remove some of the body metal. They are a means to cover up the rough edges and in my opinion look nicer that the flat sides of the 3 door Discovery. You can also use the plastic flared arches from DI's and DII's but this requires a bit of fettling and I heard was a little more work in the fabrication department...I might be wrong about the work required...it's just what I heard.

Disco flares are available from a number of sources on E-Bay now. Devon 4x4 do a very comprehensive kit...be sure that they include the rubber piping that fits between the flare and the body work...some people charge extra for this.

I got my spacers from Britpart. No problems to report after a year.

If at any time you intend to fit jackable sills.....do it whilst you are fitting the arches. They'll need to be shortened slightly....

Regards.

S

Just out of interest which make/style of tyres were you thinking off...

I have been toying with idea of 33X10.5 and a def transfer box (to drop the high range gearing)

I am thinking of fitting mud terrian tyres. I also have a defender transfer box to fit.

I have not yet selected a brand but this seems to be a size that is available in a couple of brands and it will give

me a good diff centre clearence.

i run 33/12.5/15 MTs on my 200 tdi Auto........ still using the original transfer box as well....... to be honest the gearing is not that bad, still quite happy plodding about at 70 mph, and returning 27mpg.

i wouldnt worry about the t/box swap straight away.

You'll need to trim the arches for sure.

On 255's I'd save yourself some money and go without the arches. Unless you're running spacers they'll look silly IMHO. With the money you've saved on the spacers and arches, you can now buy the D2 Cardan front prop you're now going to need to cure the inevitable vibrations after fitting the 2in lift.

Only BFG currently offers an MT in a 255/85 so your choice of rubber is restricted. The only 255 alternative I'm aware of is the Cooper ST. Slightly less aggresive than an MT but still a great on-off road tyre.

Thanks

Pete

I run Simex Jungle Trekker 2' in 33.11.50R15 (290 equiverlent I think) on 15x8 8 spokes (deep dish).

No lift just HD shocks/springs and wheel arch flares, I trimmed the stock arches when fitting the flares. I had to slightly trim the the front flares by the door to stop it rubbing under articulation (a lift would not have helped here). But apart from that no problem. Not even when running 1" wheel spacers.

As for power, well even stock it still drove ok, yes it felt less peppy but it was ok. I now have a full width front mount Allipsport intercooler and tuning on the 200Tdi and it runs great. This is with the stock transfer case and 3.54:1 diffs. I like it as it will run at 60-65mph no problem but at much lower rpms. So I think it's actually more economical on the 33's than it is on the 31" BFG A/T's I had on it before.

Ideally I'd like to regear the diffs to 4.10:1 but I'm so impressed with how it goes that I'm not in a hurry to do it.

d2.jpg

DSC_2544Medium.jpg

DSC_2439Medium.jpg

DSC_2414Medium.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics.

This has given me some good ideas on what i want mine to look like.

Are the standard CV joints and axles ok with these type of wheels or does this load them up too much that they break?

Pete

Are the standard CV joints and axles ok with these type of wheels or does this load them up too much that they break?

Pete

So far no problem running completly stock drivetrain (10 spline). However I suspect I will break something at some point, I guess it comes down to drive style, terrain and a bit of luck. I mostly end up mudding in some description or another but if you do a lot of rock work or have lockers I think you'll break things quicker.

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete,

Ive done this on my three door disco.

The tyres I have used is Bfg mudterrain Its the way forward it sgood all round also the +++ of it all is, when youare driving the tyres are really quite not like some of the other brands.

To be fair this would be my best advice to any disco drivers specially the three door ones as not too much modding.

The only thing I had to do to mine was to cut the archers I have taken off 1 3/4 " off the front and the back and a litltle bit more by getting the truck on full articulation and working out what you need to get off.

Apart form that I havent changed the gearing or transfer box and its still runnig fine.

The only thing you will need to rememeber is that the speedo is slightly out and will be reading slower but thats it.

In theory you are four inches taller now than standard also the best mod in lifting up the diffs off the ground, which again it is now two inches taller than standard.

My truck has now done 180k so still fine.

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete,

Ive done this on my three door disco.

The tyres I have used is Bfg mudterrain Its the way forward it sgood all round also the +++ of it all is, when youare driving the tyres are really quite not like some of the other brands.

To be fair this would be my best advice to any disco drivers specially the three door ones as not too much modding.

The only thing I had to do to mine was to cut the archers I have taken off 1 3/4 " off the front and the back and a litltle bit more by getting the truck on full articulation and working out what you need to get off.

Apart form that I havent changed the gearing or transfer box and its still runnig fine.

The only thing you will need to rememeber is that the speedo is slightly out and will be reading slower but thats it.

In theory you are four inches taller now than standard also the best mod in lifting up the diffs off the ground, which again it is now two inches taller than standard.

My truck has now done 180k so still fine.

Also your spare wheel cant go on the back as it will be too big LOL