quick release side steps

jameslwt

So, after yet another trip in the 110, with the other half having trouble getting in and out due to height :rolleyes: , I was wondering.....has anyone come up with or know anything about removeable side steps? It's a hardtop, so front doors only. I know you can fit the folding side steps, but even when folded up I have seen them ripped off many a time!

So what I thought was to maybe have steps that can be fitted whilst on general road use, but that I can easilly remove when we go offroad? Maybe something that slots into something? She doesn't often come when we go offroading, so not so much of an issue then.

Anyone got any thoughts? :D

Cheers

James

Maybe I'll give her a rope ladder! :lol:

People have talked of using a loop of seat-belt strap hanging from the sill. While it could still get caught up, it could be improved by stitching a few strips of elastic to it (gussets?) so that it tightens itself against the sill when not in use.

Just a thought?

If you want a more technical solution, what about a bit of asymmetric box section (say 25 x 50) with a 30 degree bend in the middle. Pivot from one end with a stop such that the cranked section is horizontal. Then connect a choke cable to the step shich that you can lift it up from inside the cab. It could easily completely vanish behind the sill bar when not in use.

Just another thought!

Si

People have talked of using a loop of seat-belt strap hanging from the sill. While it could still get caught up, it could be improved by stitching a few strips of elastic to it (gussets?) so that it tightens itself against the sill when not in use.

Just a thought?

If you want a more technical solution, what about a bit of asymmetric box section (say 25 x 50) with a 30 degree bend in the middle. Pivot from one end with a stop such that the cranked section is horizontal. Then connect a choke cable to the step shich that you can lift it up from inside the cab. It could easily completely vanish behind the sill bar when not in use.

Just another thought!

Si

I'm liking this idea!

Thanks..... will investigate further! Unless you start making one first which is quite likely! Higher things on the priority list! (hope she doesn't read this!) :D

I'm liking this idea!

Thanks..... will investigate further! Unless you start making one first which is quite likely! Higher things on the priority list! (hope she doesn't read this!) :D

I have the same problem with her indoors, and one solution i am considering is a slide in unit that fits into the hilift holes on my rock sliders/sill bars.

I have a couple of old disco side steps that i will try and butcher to do the job but can be easily removed.

It shouldn't be too hard to design some removable 'rock slider' type of steps which fit in much the same way as a removable tow hitch (as long as you can weld of course).

I have noticed the girlfriend struggles to climb into ALF whilst retaining her dignity :D