Lightweight info

Aubrey

After years of searching ...I found a Lightweight in South Africa. Total known to all LR addicts now 5 in country....... :P

Little rust (except drivers door bottom and rear cross member) and will sort that, gearbox needs a rebuild and fitted with Weber.

Plan to tidy it up and use it ...found bronze green behind instrument panel (and many layers of NATO green) and will respray in original color.

Currently running 15 inch rims but plan to revert back to original 16 inch rims .....enough dope so now the questions?

Tyre size ...original was 6.5x16 ....none in SA, no 215/16 either ....should I opt for 7.5 x 16? Alternatives?

No spare on bonnet ...can anybody asisst me with a piccie of layout on bonnet to fit spare?

Believe pick and shovel was fitted to rear load door ...any piccie (bought shovel and pick at Anchor Supplies in UK).

Kids have named it .... Sarge.

Please mail piccies to me at moorea"at"mweb.co.za Would also appreciate any websites with more information.

From Africa

Aubrey

firstly congrats!!

7.5R16 should be ok; will increase the gearing a bit so speedo will under read.

bonnet - there is a metal hoop to holdthe tyre and much smaller loops for the Y shape wheel strap to attach - got no pics of that.

the tailgate should be 2 piece and have the metal work for a spade, pick handle and pick jead holder. All but the last one can be made failry easily from bits of sheet metal and cicular bar, the canvas straps rivetted as required; see mine below. You will have trouble finding the pick head holde but again this can be home made.

I selecled a shorter shovel (from 101?) so it fits within the tailgate; the shovels are usally longer than that so the loop for the head is more to the right.

1.jpg

Thanx for all the info. Have same spade so will make a plan.

See you have Defender/Series lights ...I still have original mil units ...... are they worth retaining or scarce. Still OK with no cracks.

Will search for bonnet Y strap?

Looks cool ..... g/box will be fitted on Monday. :rolleyes:

I may be wrong but thought some of the later lwt had civ. lamps plus readthat the workshops wold fit whatever thay had on hand that could be civ .lamps. Also notice the civialian crossmemer no doubt fitted after its release -it shold have rectangular mil. cross member.

the mil lamps are hardto find i.e. read ££££ and as lenses are screw tpye. they tned to get stolen! so fitting lamp guards is a god idea?

I may be wrong but thought some of the later lwt had civ. lamps plus readthat the workshops wold fit whatever thay had on hand that could be civ .lamps. Also notice the civialian crossmemer no doubt fitted after its release -it shold have rectangular mil. cross member.

the mil lamps are hardto find i.e. read ££££ and as lenses are screw tpye. they tned to get stolen! so fitting lamp guards is a god idea?

New lenses are available from C&S Tat

John Craddock also has the screw in mil types ....... not too bad at around 13 quid each. Will also need to source the Y-strap for front spare.

Sarge still has square mil spec rear cross member .... rust on drivers side. Will try and fix or replace with channel to retain square profile.

Today was day one at sand blasting place ...... tomrrow can inspect all the bad news :lol: Wed the recon g/box and x/fer case are slotted back in ..... soft top and seats in for tidying up.

Then the big rub down starts ....decided on sand/beige colour in 2K ....... will not show scratches too easily.

Aubrey, there are some pics of my (now sold) Lightweight on www.muddyplugger.co.uk which shows some pics. I kept the original hi milers 6.5x16, but difficult to find as you say. The bonnet Y stap is like rockinghorse s*** to find (my experience), so good look in your searches.

Mark Cook wrote a fantastic book titled 'The 1/2 Ton Military Land Rover' which is stuffed full of photos off all sorts of Lightweights in service.

Anth.

Any known source of this book on the net?

Published by Veloce,try a search with .co.uk or com.

I bought it in London last year and it's a beautiful book.

Also in the LROI webstore maybe?

I don't own a LWT though

:(

John Craddock also has the screw in mil types ....... not too bad at around 13 quid each. Will also need to source the Y-strap for front spare.

is tht just for the lens or complete lamp unit, I suspect the former. So 8 original lenses at 13 each or 8 plasticy ones for a pound each, hmmmmm let me think....... :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
Another question ....... inside bonnet are two clamps on driver side ...any suggestions on their use? :huh:

been told it is for a starting handle. also on the passenger bulkhead in the engine bay you may find a cubby box and rarer still find one under the rear wheel arch - just boxes for storing stuff - one of them wasfor the jack?

I can confirm the 'y' strap for retaining the tyre is very difficult to get. The clamp is for the starting handle, and the box under the bonnet, passenger side bulkhead should hold the original screw jack. 750/16 Hi-Milers or Deestones are the tyre and ok size for a ltwt. I think that it should really have military lights on it. They are expensive, but far more robust that the crappy civvy ones. And if you want it to look right..........................................

Les. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...