Another On board air write up

Diff

I was just in the middle of a rather cunning plan to use the crankcase breather pipe to connect directly to the inlet of the Sanden to provide nicely oil misted air to the compressor, but then I thought a bit harder and had visions of a sump full of oil being sucked up and blown all over the street.

Has anyone ever sucked on thier breather pipe to see if this would happen? Will someone try?

:)

I was just in the middle of a rather cunning plan to use the crankcase breather pipe to connect directly to the inlet of the Sanden to provide nicely oil misted air to the compressor, but then I thought a bit harder and had visions of a sump full of oil being sucked up and blown all over the street.

Has anyone ever sucked on thier breather pipe to see if this would happen? Will someone try?

:)

This is exactly what i did, it's been running fine for years now, the majority of the air comes from the pipe from the throttle body on Rover V8 (upstream of the throttle plate). I wouldn't draw 100% of the air from the crankcase. I use a water separator / filter before the tank to remove any residue, nothing gets into the tyres (i have checked) though the air does have a bit of a 'whiff' to it :lol:

Also ensures the aircon pump is breathing filtered air and, if you have a snorkel, is protected from inhaling water too.

Biggest problem is the temperature of the air on the outlet - it degrades rubber air hose after a while.

This is exactly what i did, it's been running fine for years now, the majority of the air comes from the pipe from the throttle body on Rover V8 (upstream of the throttle plate). I wouldn't draw 100% of the air from the crankcase. I use a water separator / filter before the tank to remove any residue, nothing gets into the tyres (i have checked) though the air does have a bit of a 'whiff' to it :lol:

Also ensures the aircon pump is breathing filtered air and, if you have a snorkel, is protected from inhaling water too.

Biggest problem is the temperature of the air on the outlet - it degrades rubber air hose after a while.

Ok cool - I've got a small air filter for the a/c pump and was planing to run a little tool oiler in line with it, but ithe oiler looks a bit flimsy to me for long term use in an off roader in a hot engine bay.

I'll tee in a take off pipe from the engine breather hose between the filter and a/c pump instead, which should draw in enough gunk to keep the pump happy, but not risk creating too much vacuum.

If I grease the pump as well that should be enough to keep it happy.

;)

• 7 months later...

Hi what kind of grease you put in the compressor? When you go this way, you dont must plug the bypass hole at the cilinder head from the compressor?

Please sorry for my bad english, but im from Spain :-)

Hi Mehari,

Any high temperature grease will do. A CV joint grease will probably be very good.

No, there is no need to block the small bypass hole to the head.

My basic system is still working fine, and no oil/grease etc leaves the airline. I DO drain the small air tank EVERY day when I use the system, as this collects moisture and makes sure it doesn't go into tyres or tools.

Regards,

Diff

• 2 months later...

Diff: when you say you filled the top hex plug with grease, do you mean the 17mm bolt thats about half way along the side of the main body of the compressor? Did you drain any oil out first?

With the bracketry on the disco that filler plug appears to be on the side of the compressor, not the top, hence the query.

I've just pulled the AC out of the disco, but i was eyeing up the compressor thinking "i wonder if this can be done" when i came across your post.

Diff: when you say you filled the top hex plug with grease, do you mean the 17mm bolt thats about half way along the side of the main body of the compressor? Did you drain any oil out first?

With the bracketry on the disco that filler plug appears to be on the side of the compressor, not the top, hence the query.

I've just pulled the AC out of the disco, but i was eyeing up the compressor thinking "i wonder if this can be done" when i came across your post.

Hi Kev,

Yes, the filler is the only hex head bolt mid way down the body.I am not familiar with the orientation of the pump on the disco V8. May be it is supposed to be on its side, or maybe a previous owner mounted it 90 degrees one way. I don't expect it will affect it anyway.

I would drain the oil out, and pump grease in. Any high temp grease will probably do. I have a mixture of 'one shot' swivel housing grease and regular lithium based (LM) Wheel bearing grease in mine. I just pumped a load in until it seemed fairly full. Not very scientific I know, but it still works fine several years later.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff

diff, does your compressor get hot? and if so how hot.

and what was the name and make of the grease you used?

and am i right in thinking that my 200TDI disco's a/c pump will be a sanden? does it say so on it anywhere?

mehari, maybe you used a thicker grease or a lower temperature grease or lower quality grease?

ta

discomikey, I put normal cv lithium grease,NLGI2, for temperatures from -30 to +130 degree. The compressor takes very hot, you cant touch it too much time. Now I have dismounted the compresor, and find grease over the head from 1 piston, and some balls from some piston rods moves very hard...I try again with another compressor when I have time, and I think I gonna put compressor oil into...sorry again for my poor english, Im spanish...

Hi

I dont was very succesfull. I put the grease into, and I have pression for three times, but then the compressor take hot and say goodbye....Maybe i put too much grease, I also block the small bypass-hole in the head, like they do in the french-patrol-forum:

http://www.patrol-gr.net/trucs137.php

Perhaps the compressor was already worn? Maybe blocking the bypass hole allows too much pressure to build up under the pistons when the compressor gets hot (suspect this may be the problem?). Mine does not have the bypass blocked.

Regards,

Diff

• 3 months later...

hi guys, new to the forum, sorry for re-opening an old thread but ive been searching for this info for a while. i may be able to get a sanden compressor, its not an sd709 but was wondering if its the sanden design which is good for this application or does it need to be the sd709?

many thanks for any help.

gary

hi guys, new to the forum, sorry for re-opening an old thread but ive been searching for this info for a while. i may be able to get a sanden compressor, its not an sd709 but was wondering if its the sanden design which is good for this application or does it need to be the sd709?

many thanks for any help.

gary

Hi Gary,

I think any Sanden 'type' compressor will work, but have not tried. As far as I know, the SD709 has the largest capacity of the 'old' V belt pulley Sandens, so it may shift more air per minute (higher cfm) than some of the other smaller Sandens.

Regards,

Diff

• 3 months later...

hi mate im interested on how will this it working after all this time, as the air con pistons where lucubrated but the air con fluid

Hi Mayur,

The system has been in use for well over 3 years now, and it still works fine. To be fair it only gets used occasionally rather than every day, but I have had no problems.

Regards,

Diff

• 1 month later...

isn't it a possibility to use the pump of a small 110v or 220v compressor, and even the tank. I think you could use almost every component of the compressor. It just don't know if there's enough space under the bonnet, and you would have to fabricate a clutch. But maybe you could use that one from an AC-compressor.

isn't it a possibility to use the pump of a small 110v or 220v compressor, and even the tank. I think you could use almost every component of the compressor. It just don't know if there's enough space under the bonnet, and you would have to fabricate a clutch. But maybe you could use that one from an AC-compressor.

Yes, you can use the compressor part of a workshop compressor as well as the rest of the parts, but, as you pointed out, there is no clutch, and most compressors are too tall. You would also have to ensure the gearing was correct, and fabricate mountings.

The advantages of using an aircon compressor are that there is a clutch fitted as standard, it has factory mountings to suit most engine types, the gearing will be correct, it is compact and shifts a lot of air for its size.

Regards, Diff

• 2 weeks later...