Tailgate problems

Hi guy's sorry for being a newbie but ive searched the archive & cant find a related topic.

I drive a 2001 5dr station wagon.

The back door has packed in, the window neither drops down when you try & open the door or when you press the button inside the cab, or when you press & hold the unlock key fob.

:unsure:

But clueless with all the technical jargon stuff but have read the manual & changed the fuse in the fuse box as a just in case measure & still nothing!!! hmmmm

I cant seem to open the boot in any other way.

Has any nice person got any suggestions before I take it to landy & get a whopping bill!!!

haha

Many thanks in advance

A.x

Welcome :)

The window winding mechanism (called the window regulator) inside the back door has probably gone pop, they do that. Getting into it will be fun and then I think a new regulator is the wrong side of £100 plus labour.

Thank you BogMonster!!!!!

I knew some cleaver person on here would know the answer ;o)

Just another quicky - should brake pads last longer than 12 months?

Garage is saying no - seems a bit fishy to me..

Ive had it since it was 6 months old is now 6yrs old,

The brake pads were replaced last year on its service, but now they are making that sqeeking & crunching noise again, Garage says new brake pads needed again.

Surely not? Im not an F1 rally driver you know!!!!

Any advice......

Thanks

A.x

Thank you BogMonster!!!!!

I knew some cleaver person on here would know the answer ;o)

Just another quicky - should brake pads last longer than 12 months?

Garage is saying no - seems a bit fishy to me..

Ive had it since it was 6 months old is now 6yrs old,

The brake pads were replaced last year on its service, but now they are making that sqeeking & crunching noise again, Garage says new brake pads needed again.

Surely not? Im not an F1 rally driver you know!!!!

Any advice......

Thanks

A.x

If you do average mailage then no they should a few years.

if the car is only used say once a week and the discs rust that will make them wear quicker but my expiriance I get about 30k easily from a set of fronts and the rear shoes tend to last much longer.

did they do the fronts last service and its now the rears need doing??

Have you checked the fuse in the door window

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Sorry Ive been away for a while.

Definately front break pads doing a lot of grinding & squeaking, & given that these were supposed to have been changed at its last service last june I think I may need to complain. Do you agree?

I havent checked the fuse in the door ( to be honest I didnt know there was one!! Ooops :huh: )

Can you please point me in the right direction of where to find it?

Also has anyone any idea's about head gaskets?

Coolant running through far too quickly, over heating & cold air blowing from the vents - presuming head gasket problem unless anyone can correct me?

I know this is supposed to be a common fault but has anyone any idea's of how expensive its going to be to fix?

Any recommendations for any good garage's in the north west? Warrington, Manchester, Liverpool area??

Given the history with my last landrover garage - dont think it would be a would idea to return to him!!!!

Why why why have all these problems happened at once :o(

I love my baby landy but fear it may be time to part ways with her if this is the start of many problems

Many thanks again for your responses so far & thanks in advance for any responses to follow.

Ange.xxx

drive a 2001 5dr station wagon.

The back door has packed in, the window neither drops down when you try & open the door or when you press the button inside the cab, or when you press & hold the unlock key fob

While doing the job, would you be so nice to take a couple of pics of the tail gate from the inside and post them up. I need to see how actually things are fitted up.

Do you think i would be able to convert a DiSCO tailgate to the same manner of the Freelander one ??, cause we have a 1995 disco 3 door, without sunroofs and ac. To add insult to injury it is black, and here in Malta the summer is really hard to endure in a black car. And i was thinking of this experiment ... or else if i do not succed , then i chop the roof off, but would really like to leave this option as a last resort.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Another Newbie here. I have a similar problem with my yr 2000 5-door Freelander. The back window drops when I operate the handle, but the door won't open. Is there any way to get in to the lock mechanism without removing the door? I'm presuming that I can remove the hinge-pins & lift the door off?

Stewart

Hi guy's sorry for being a newbie but ive searched the archive & cant find a related topic.

I drive a 2001 5dr station wagon.

The back door has packed in, the window neither drops down when you try & open the door or when you press the button inside the cab, or when you press & hold the unlock key fob.

:unsure:

But clueless with all the technical jargon stuff but have read the manual & changed the fuse in the fuse box as a just in case measure & still nothing!!! hmmmm

I cant seem to open the boot in any other way.

Has any nice person got any suggestions before I take it to landy & get a whopping bill!!!

haha

Many thanks in advance

A.x