Overheat. Did I survive ?

mad_pete

Rather key hose on my range rover decided to split. Temp gauge and coolant loss light failed to alert me and only lots of helpful smoke out finally showed the way.

I ran for a couple of miles while losing coolant ( if only I had paid more attention to the gas cutting out ) The engine stalled when I pulled up.

The car does start. There is no water in the oil ( yet ). Took about 5 kettles worth to fill the radiator back up. I need to fix hose and check levels after but are there any other checks worth doing ?

Pull the plugs ?

Compression test ?

What are my chances of getting away with this ?????

Yep, I would agree.

Refill with the correct mix of water / antifreeze and chance your arm. If you start loosing coolant without an obvious leak then you have probably blown a head gasket, but I would think the risk is low.

Oh, and next time, pay attention to that temp gauge!! That's the first rule with a V8! Drive a bit - check gauge, change gear, check gauge, check mirror, check gauge, pick nose, check gauge you get the picture? :lol::lol:

If you have cooked your engine - problems may not be immediately apparent. The excessive heat affects the material of the head gasket if it's the composite type, and it may blow at a later date. But as has already been said - fill it up and see how it goes.

And don't pick your nose - there's always someone looking when you do it. I've seen Bish do it a few times (never knew a finger could go up a nose that far) :wacko:

Les :D

Thanks, despite my vigilante rotation of road, speedo, temp gauge as I pulled up with smoke pouring from the bonnet and water pouring onto the road, the coolant loss light remained out and the temp gauge confidently reported temperature was just to the tepid side of normal. :angry:

I think I have old style gaskets and I didn't put any more water in until 3 days later. :-) ( although I did briefly drive it to get it off the AA man's lorry )

okay hose on and water in. Car starts + , nothing leaks to start with + and then water gushes out of the header tank! I was expecting to put water in not have the car throw the exisiting water out ?????

It seemed a lot. Is there any chance that is just the water expanding as it heats ???????

okay hose on and water in. Car starts + , nothing leaks to start with + and then water gushes out of the header tank! I was expecting to put water in not have the car throw the exisiting water out ?????

It seemed a lot. Is there any chance that is just the water expanding as it heats ???????

It could be as simple as an air lock, but also it could be a headgasket failure, how hard are the hoses?

It would be worth trotting to the local garage and getting the water tested.

Does it gush because the header tank cap is off, or does it spit out in an over-pressure boiling type fashion? The amount of expansion is quite a lot so if you've topped everything right up it may well spit out a litre or so.

hoses are quite soft, not sure the top hose is even filled.

Pete,

Assuming that its an efi, then its essential to fill the system properly and without air locks, simple things like heater valve open etc.

Also, as nasty as it is, take one of the higher hoses or top fill beed cap off and blow through the expansion tank cap to force any air out, then if possible, get an assistant to replace hose or cap ensuring no air gets in.

My usual method is to fill with water and then "pump" the top hose quickly and firmly which usually makes bubbles gurgle up through the system as water is forced about the place, then keep topping up and repeating. It's not very scientific but it seems to work. If your system has been totally empty then you may need a bit more help.

hmm I get the feeling the thermstat housing bolt is favouring shearing off over undoing. Get a blow torch on it perhaps ?

What are the symptoms if the head gasket is gone and the water system is being overheated /pressurized by the compression chamber ?

If you are sure the thermostat is ok (you can take it out and either test it in boing water or test the engine with it out of the vehicle). Sometimes slowly filling the engine while it's ticking over prevents air locks as well. If the engine pressurises still, then maybe you have blown the head gasket. The engine will probably rapidly overheat (within a few minutes usually) as well. A compression test (you can buy a tester from Halfrauds for about £20), or a chemical leak test will tell a story as well.

Les.

• 3 weeks later...

When a piston picks up, it gets so close to melting point that the alloy is transferred to the wall of the cylinder bore. On the good side you can hone the alloy off the cylider bore, but on the bad side you will have to remove all of the pistons and inspect or replace them - engine rebuild time I would say. You came within a few seconds of a total engine sieze.

Les.