new springs and shocks

Gromit

My newly imported (finally!) 110 will need to go for its first NCT (MOT)

It's sitting a bit sad on the nearside, the shocks are weeping a bit and the ride is pooey. It's standard height.

I first need to determine if the self leveling is working. If it isn't I'll just take it off. I suspect it isn't working, so am gonna load a few blocks in the back and drive about and see if it pumps up.

I understand that if it is working, I just need standard springs, if not I'll need HD springs?

I've been looking around paddocks/craddocks site at the kits available.

I've heard good reports about the ES9000 shock ?

Are britpart super gaz shocks and springs rubbish?

They do a 40mm lift. How much would this affect the on-road handling?

What else would you recommend, spring and shockwise?

Also, what other hardware will I need?

turret ring, nuts and bolts?

Shock nuts and bolts?

Thanks in advance for any input. I'm just a wee bit vague on this.

Cheers,

ProComp or OME seem to be very popular. Britpart seem to have a bit of a mixed reputation. When you change the springs replace the top ring at the same time - the nuts invariably snap anyway. Sometimes the bottom spring retaining plates have bolts missing (M10 x 1.5 x 20mm), or are badly corroded. Making a new plate is very easy as it's just a strip of aprox 2.5mm thick steel with two holes in. The bottom fixings of the shocks can be a real swine to undo sometimes - as are the front top mounts. You may find (depending on what shocks you buy), that the bottom of the threaded part of the shock presses on the axle tube before the nut is correctly tightened. I have had to cut 5mm off before now.

Les.

You need to decide on your usage - do you want a lift or standard height? Do you want standard poundage or heavy duty?

Are you going to fit a winch and bumper? etc etc. How much money do you want to spend?

If you are staying standard then Land Rover Genuine springs are dirt cheap and excellent.

OME are very good for most applications but spendy. (Springs and shocks)

Procomp are a good middle ground.

Britpart springs IMHO are too stiff (necessary to get the lift) to be compliant.

If you are replacing shocks I would look at either genuine (again v cheap) or Rough Country (via David Llama4x4 on this forum) for longer gas shocks.

I've just replaced the rear suspension on my 110 and opted for Boge oil-filled shocks and Genuine springs.

I couldn't get any suppliers to say that OE springs were EXACTLY the same spec as the Genuine ones. As I wanted a fit-and-forget job, I spent the extra money.

Haven't regretted it, so far. The new springs and shocks give a slightly better ride at the rear and they were easy to fit.

Gas shocks would be nice, but I can't see them drastically altering things too much.

I just sprayed copious amounts of WD40 on all nuts on both of two evenings before fitment. No problems at all.

I hear the front units are more of a problem, though.

You need to decide on your usage - do you want a lift or standard height? Do you want standard poundage or heavy duty?

Are you going to fit a winch and bumper? etc etc. How much money do you want to spend?

Not fitting a winch at the moment. Planning bigger tyres at some point. I don't want to make the ride harsher than necessary.

Not looking to spend too much money!

So, if I were to get some procomp +2 springs, would I be better with genuine standard springs with 2" packers?

If you are replacing the springs go for longer springs rather than spacers with new standard height springs.

Bigger tyres? How big?

ok cheers, will have a look at what springs are available in +2"

Tyre sizes, well I don't rightly know yet. :rolleyes: I just wanted to give myself some future manoeuvering room, as I have to replace the springs and shocks now.

Big old can of worms

Springs - Britpart progressive are about the best VFM, don't bother with the HD jobbies.

TJM are the best top end of the market VFM

Eibach are the best full stop

I am about to test a set of Britpart GAZ so can't comment

There is very little difference between Pro-comp, Rough Country, Trailmaster, Rancho, Iron Man, De Carbon etc. If it hasn't got a remote resevoir or variable damping. Go by price and travel length AND guarantee. If if breaks replace it under warantee.

OEM have a nasty habbit of snapping top rings. TJM are the same shock but with a stronger top ring - get the drift...

As Bish says - work out what you want to do.

Overland demands far greater wear resistance than Challenge.

Guest WALFY

I'm using bearmach blue +2". Fine but because of the bumper and G10 on the front I'm running rear springs on the front aswell. Would buy again.

I have britpart yellows +2" on the 110 with pro-comp dampers. I am very happy with them.

As Bish said above they are very stiff on the rear but they are ideal for my usage day to day. They seem to work well enough offroad, certainly better than the old standard HD ones I had before.

I rode in a 110 with bearmach HD springs once, that was fiercely stiff.

Will :)

Do you know the funny thing about living in Aus

You can get OME & TJM shocks and springs on every street corner

But they all here (land Rover people) want scrap iron surpension. :o:o:o

They were amazed that i did not come over with a set of scrapiron on the 90 instead of getting OME put on when i got here

But i think the OME is brill and had them on the challenge 90 ,the blue 90 , and when i can be arsed to fit them, the disco will have them fitted

Oh well grass is always greener on the other side :D

Do you know the funny thing about living in Aus

You can get OME & TJM shocks and springs on every street corner

But they all here (land Rover people) want scrap iron surpension. :o:o:o

Must be a Queensland thing Ali. :rolleyes: The majority of Landrover people I've ever met in Australia are running either Koni or Bilstein, with King, Lovells or LRA springs, but mostly King. OME & TJM are far from popular with Landrover people here, and I've only ever seen one sucker running Scrapiron.

Paul :)

Must be a Queensland thing Ali. :rolleyes: The majority of Landrover people I've ever met in Australia are running either Koni or Bilstein, with King, Lovells or LRA springs, but mostly King. OME & TJM are far from popular with Landrover people here, and I've only ever seen one sucker running Scrapiron.

Paul :)

:) must jump on me and ask me about Scrapiron then because i am a pom :)