Butters welders

Les Henson

Naa.....Sorry Les, they're useless.

Tell you what, I'll give you £50 to take it off your hands (delivered that is mind!)

There are some nice WingWongWang 5000000 welders on eBay - the ones with the biult in MP3 Player - one of those might suit you?

Si ;)

Bit late to ask now as I just bought a Butters MIG 160.

Are they any good?

Have I just wasted £400?

I'd appreciate yes to the first and then no to the second please :huh:

Les.

What is the duty cycle for full 160amp power? That will tell you a lot about the capabilities and construction of the welder.

"He" didnt know what he was talking about,your 160A mig is probably only rated at 160A for 35% of its duty cycle,which is 10mins.So after using 160A for 3.5 mins you need to rest it for 6.5 mins.Butters were good kit,I think my Camarc set was made by an ex Butters mob - very HD,copper transformers and solid switchgear etc.(bit heavy for welding cars tho,its 3 phase and will give over 400A)

Butters are very good, not made any more though, we run a 400A with a remote torch, very robust and will last a lifetime.

Butters were a good British welder, no longer made in the UK, imported from China and sold under Butters name, very good warranty though!

They are good welders, but nothing special, these new machines are not the same build quality of the original British made stuff from which their reputation comes.

They look nice!

Regarding price have a look here http://www.migtigarc.co.uk/MIG_Welder/mig_welder.html

Also have the Butters 211 same as him^^^^^. Got it on long term loan from a mate. Welds very well from cold but after a while does seem to drop off on performance on big stuff. Excellent on light body repairs though. Really can't fault it. Any thing over about 3 mill though, so long as its flat, :lol: and give me my stick welder anyday!

Butters 211 aswell :) No problems, but "W" sized bottles are a bit too big for its tray and the stock torch is a little flimsy. Have a Butters 1600 Weldy, bloody handy to keep in the truck :)

Where do you get your Bottle from Les? BOC or Wiltshire Welding supplies?

post-604-1177566156_thumb.jpg

A friend of mine works for BOC here in Swindon, so I'll probably go with them as it'll undoubtedly work out a lot cheaper.

The salesman offered me a 10-litre bottle of Argoshield on a 3-year free rental agreement for £110.40 plus refill charge whenever it's empty.

Les.

IMHO Butters welders are a 2 category product, like other 'decent' welders.

The old ones (Like Mr Fridgefreezers) are very solidly built, and I'd run one in a heartbeat. The new ones are nothing like the same product, far more plasticky and just not as robust at all. Personally I probably wouldn't run a modern one. Look at the difference in the wirefeed units, for example.

I was clambering around a few last weekend. Even the guy selling them was pretty scathing about the newer ones, in terms of quality at least.

Its the same situation with Cebora (which I have) and Migatronic (apparently, though I haven't seen this example for myself), I have also heard the same can be true of some newer Esab products??? I guess its just everyone cutting costs - I have an old solid one, but wouldn't run a newer one unless it was very cheap.

To be honest, I'm not sure what I'd buy if I was forced to get a brand new one...

Hope it helps a bit. Al.