Roll the Dice?

88 Special

I live in a small town in Panama, Central America. I had never seen a Defender up close until a couple weeks ago. There is a government agency selling seven 1999 Defenders 110, TD5's to the higest bidders. Base prices US$2100 -2400 (GBP1050-1200). They are non runners, and some partly disassembled. Had a look at the workshop manual and the Defenders/TD5 don't seem too DIY friendly and lots of special tools required. I would have to do all the work as the only dealer in Panama is 120 miles.

Was thinking of a project, as I am getting bored waiting for my SIII to break. :lol:

How many do their own work on the Defender/TD5's? or is it better to foget this project?

The one missing the door has a 300 tdi disassembled in the back seat!

post-208-1177553454_thumb.jpg

post-208-1177553529_thumb.jpg

post-208-1177553570_thumb.jpg

post-208-1177553779_thumb.jpg

Thank you for any comments or info.

My experience has been this. If you want to build or restore a car and you can't get parts easily don't bother. You'll never get back your money. Also i've noticed that defender owners sorry most landrover owners excluding the damn freelander carp beleive that there cars once properly maintained are unstoppable and therefore the cars get hearts. If there are people driving landrovers where u are and I would imagine those people would be farmers they would understand that but most people would just get a hilux. I get that too but I would never get rid of my 90. I absolutely loved it even with its faults. Its crazy that with all the stuff thats possible nowadya in 2007 they still make a car that will start to rust within 11 months of it being new. But it continues to sell mostly unchanged after all these years. Its because people love there land rovers.I think it would be difficult to sell at a good price also.

I would have to do all the work as the only dealer in Panama is 120 miles.

How many do their own work on the Defender/TD5's? or is it better to foget this project?

I'd say that working on the Defender TD5 would be the same as working on any Series/Defender vehcile, except for the engine. The set-back of the TD5 is that you would probably need the help of the dealer, provided that he has access to a Rovacom or TestBook. On this forum there is a chap who had his upgrade project from non-TD5 to TD5, have a search and check his story. It is well documented.

It also gives you the chance to 'upgrade' the land rover to YOUR specifications, i.e. raise the ECU...

The one missing the door has a 300 tdi disassembled in the back seat!

You could always do a bid for that one, which would get you the choice of engines. 300TDi or TD5; If you have the chance, also check the gearbox and bellhousing, as it would be quite a bummer to have a 300TDi engine, but no gearbox to connect to...

As you have worked on your Series III before, I'd say go for it, especially seeing the price. You could even ask the people on here to give you a hand... They could fly out in winter with the parts you need in their hand luggage, and would be happy to spend some time away from the cold...

Pura Vida B) :P

For that price i would go with the option of buying a couple of them to create a working one, plus it would also give you a spares base should you need it. Having only owned a defender since oct i have found that there has been quite a lot i have been able to do and thats with no mechinical knowlegde, really has been a teach yourself as go along job

Thank you for all the comments.

As for the Defenders, I have been looking at the prices of "error code readers/resetters" not cheap and with the freight cost on parts is more than the price of the parts. Not to mention some of the maintence procedures, what is the reason for the head torquing procedure? "X number of ft-lbs then turn X number of degrees,? Is this better than torquing to a known ft-lb in stages?

I am thinking the SIII may be the better vehicle in my situation.

I can't believe that your series 3 is so reliable that you are getting bored waiting for it to break ! How many hours have you owned it?

Bill.

Hi Bill,

I have owned a 79 SIII Santana, swb, diesel for 5 years, my 1st LR. The first three years I rebuilt/repaired or replaced about everything. For the last couple, other than regular maintenance (oil changes, etc) it has not missed a beat. Starting to worry me.

...with the freight cost on parts is more than the price of the parts.

That's why siearl said to see if you could get two or three of them. Build one out of the three, and sell off the parts. It is what I would do. Alternatively check on 'alternative ways' of getting parts into the country. Hoping that the parts you need are not too cumbersome or heavy, they could be sent from abroad as 'gifts' or taken as hand luggage.

Where there is a Defender, there is a way...

That's why siearl said to see if you could get two or three of them. Build one out of the three, and sell off the parts. It is what I would do. Alternatively check on 'alternative ways' of getting parts into the country. Hoping that the parts you need are not too cumbersome or heavy, they could be sent from abroad as 'gifts' or taken as hand luggage.

Where there is a Defender, there is a way...

Buying several to build one is ok, if they don't all have the same fault (bad engine?). I was told that the major faults would be on the list, this did not happen. So, buying is a carp shoot. There are very few LR's here in Panama, these were a gift from some International Organization to the Government of Panama. No market for second hand parts here and selling in the US would be a headache with all the new "Home Land Security" Bullsh*t restrictions.

When I was at the inspection yard, there was very little interest in the LR's, (2nd hand Hi-Lux parts are like gold),so I am going to bid $400 each on the three most complete vehicle. If no one else bids, they may cosider the low bid (more than they would get at the scrap yard).

They open the bid envelopes on the 5th of May. It will also cost me $200/vehicle for transporting to my home.

Be sure you get the one with the 300Tdi then... Oh, and there should be a LR community in Costa Rica that might consider your parts. Could be worth checking there as well...

Good luck and we'll keep our axles crossed... (Or shouldn't I have said that???)

:lol: