fuel gauge light on dash

right ever since my rebuild (5 years ago now) I have never managed to get the fuel gauge light to come on anymore... have I got some wrong somewhere.

there are two cables that run to the tank,,, that sit on the middle connection and the connection closest to the bulk head. which all powers up the gauge on the dash -- however how do I make it when the fuel is low turn the light on..?

simple for some people no doubt but I just can not figure it out.

so, clues please- -colour of cable required to locate,

run from where to where.. etc etc..

oh yes - -it did work once.. honest..

cheers in advance.

you could give us a clue what model & year you are asking about.....

I'm guessing its a defender - there is a small circuit board (often wrapped in insulating tape like a lump in the wiring loom) just behing the dash. Its this that takes the level info from the gauge feed & switches the light. check its undamaged & connected.

Rich,

I think you should have three wires from the sender: black going to earth, green and black going to the guage and white and slate going to the light. Check all of these and then check your bulb hasn't blown.

Rich,

You should have three wires from the sender: black going to earth, green and black going to the guage and white and slate going to the light. Check all of these and then check your bulb hasn't blown.

yeah thats the colours.

But, the white/slate doesn't come from the sender, it comes from this little circuit i mentioned.

I believe it loops through the 8/10? Pin connector behind the dash so you can find it there to measure.

cheers all..

its a 200tdi by the way 92 plate.(J)

don't think I have ever seen that circuit you are on about.. but I have been give lots of info (which is nice) so I shall start going through it.. :)

thanks again everyone..

and Divster - -shouldn't you be planning your honeymoon - and make sure it doesn't conflict with any off road dates... :D

yeah thats the colours.

But, the white/slate doesn't come from the sender, it comes from this little circuit i mentioned.

I believe it loops through the 8/10? Pin connector behind the dash so you can find it there to measure.

Not all Defenders are fitted with the low fuel level light, there are 2 types of sender unit, my '89 110 has the light wired from the sender unit, [so 3 wires to that bit] others just have 2 wires, if yours has 2 at the sender then your loom/vehicle is not & never has been fitted with the circuit.

there's a extra relay behind the right hand end of the instrument pack if the system is fitted.

and Divster - -shouldn't you be planning your honeymoon - and make sure it doesn't conflict with any off road dates... :D

Too late, it does (AWDC round 4). I've tried to convince her that we should come back early from the Alps but I don't think I'll win this one :lol::lol:

Not all Defenders are fitted with the low fuel level light, there are 2 types of sender unit, my '89 110 has the light wired from the sender unit, [so 3 wires to that bit] others just have 2 wires, if yours has 2 at the sender then your loom/vehicle is not & never has been fitted with the circuit.

there's a extra relay behind the right hand end of the instrument pack if the system is fitted.

If this is the case, you could easily retrofit the 3 terminal sender if you wanted a low fuel warning light that badly. Alternatively, just keep checking the guage ;)

unless my one was a bodge job at the beginning.. but I know it was working before the bulkhead swap. because it used to drive me potty because it came on whilst cornering with half a tank of fuel still.. :)

maybe I have just miss placed the 3 rd cable - assuming it didn't run with the other two cables and was seperate.

mines a 93 200tdi, just has the two wires & no light.

Jas

as my one was in the lake district and devon I came back down for it... - didn't compete mind just wandered about - so wheres the dedication .... come on man... Who's wearing the trousers in your relationship... :D:D ?

?

Too late, it does (AWDC round 4). I've tried to convince her that we should come back early from the Alps but I don't think I'll win this one :lol::lol:

If this is the case, you could easily retrofit the 3 terminal sender if you wanted a low fuel warning light that badly. Alternatively, just keep checking the guage ;)

I'll dig out the wiring diagram & parts list when I'm home from work this afternoon. :D

fuel contents sender unit without low level warning PRC8707

--------------------------- with low level warning STC1482

both parts above fitted upto chassis number JA915411

chassis uoto JA915357 PRC8463

chassis from JA915358 AMR1495

as you can see there is/was some overlap. all the above part numbers are for Diesel engined vehicles only.

a low fuel ecu/relay [unable to find the part number] is fitted behind the instrument panel to the upper right of steering column,

in the attached wiring diagram .pdf file, look at item 48 warning light in dash cluster, item 74 low fuel level unit,

hth :D

Defender_wiring_P1.pdf

Key_for_wiring_P2.pdf