efi engine fitting

hello i have fitted a 3.5 efi to a defender , two problems

1 temperature gauge in cab reading very hot but engine ok , i want to keep the cab gauge but change the engine sender unit which one do i need ?

2 the oil filter is being knocked by the front axle just in normal road use any one else had this problem how can i get round it before i smash it off

engine sat further back used manual box and adapter plate to make it fit

it was so easy when it was diesel

thanks in advance

For the gauge I would simply replace it with a Racetech version. For the oil filter you need a remote oil filter kit. A grown up should be along shortly to point you in the right direction.

Ivan

Oil filter you have several options of varying price/bling:

1) Think Automotive PC1 replacement pump cover and RFH remote filter head - costs around £100 but replaces the oil pump base and knocks a massive amount off the bottom of the engine. As long as yours isn't a 4.2 or 4.6 it will fit fine (ask me how I know it won't fit a cross-bolted block <_< )

typee.gif

2) Spin-on adapter goes on in place of the original filter, knocks a couple of inches off the length of the filter, you may want to measure carefully before going for this although it's about £20-30 cheaper.

top01im.gif

Remote filter head you will need with either option, there are different directions of ports available:

rfh3-2.gifrfh2.gifrfh4-2.gif

All from Think Automotive.

When you measure the axle travel, pretend the bump-stop isn't there - assume the axle could go all the way up and clonk the chassis, that way you'll *know* that you have enough clearance.

Dirk....

Does your engine have an oil cooler ?

If so, you may want to consider removing it.

My 3.9 came with oil cooler and the oil filter was lower down as a consequence of the extra pipework.

Once removed it raised hte oild filter back to it's expected height and cleared all the internals of the lower engine bay...

(Mine was 3.5 V8 formerly so issues may be different...)

Neil

If you have an oil cooler I'd think about removing the takeoff plate for it and plumbing it in-line with the remote filter, an oil cooler makes a bigger difference to engine cooling than you might think and is worth keeping if you've got one IMHO.

1 temperature gauge in cab reading very hot but engine ok , i want to keep the cab gauge but change the engine sender unit which one do i need ?

Dirk

The part number for the V8 Defender temp sender is PRC 2506

Bob