tdi 200 in a light weight

james.lw

• 3 weeks later...

Meccano, james.lw

How did you find/settle on position of engine/gearbox?

Did you use the original engine mounts as a starting point?

Which type engine mounts did you use? I plan to use discovery mounts to reduce vibration.

Did bulkhead require any modification when fitting 200tdi/Lt77? How about the engine tunnel?

Meccano do you have any pics of the 200tdi fitted? It looks like a petrol still installed on the attatched pics??

Who shortened your props for you?

Did you guys fit discovery versions of the tdi? How are going to get around the exhaust bend problem? Steve Parker downpipe prehaps?

Cheers.

Meccano, james.lw

How did you find/settle on position of engine/gearbox?

Did you use the original engine mounts as a starting point?

I made new engine mounts to move the engine about 110mm forwards, but still using the original engine mount positions.

i wanted to ensure my prop was as long as possible.

Which type engine mounts did you use? I plan to use discovery mounts to reduce vibration.

defender 200tdi

Did bulkhead require any modification when fitting 200tdi/Lt77? How about the engine tunnel?

yup, my tranmission tunnel had to be re made as the leavers add alot of hieght to the box.

Meccano do you have any pics of the 200tdi fitted? It looks like a petrol still installed on the attatched pics??

still putting the engine back together

Who shortened your props for you?

the rear was a shortened one from proshaft clinic

Did you guys fit discovery versions of the tdi? How are going to get around the exhaust bend problem? Steve Parker downpipe prehaps?

Yes mines a disco one, im going to make my own down pipe out of stainless. Mianly because im not sure it will fit with the engine mounted and i couldnt get the info i needed out of steve parker to if it would fit

Cheers.

Hope that helps

Forgot to mention that the front prop is a standard defender

hi mecccano today i put the rear prop and the original one fits perfect

but for the front i want to now what prop is 27''

and for the engine i use discovery mounts and make new brackets for them

any help pls

Hi Guys,

What are you planning to do for an exhaust? I was planning on using a 200tdi 90 system as a starting point and cut and shut to fit. (Or possibly a 300 or td5 system!) The centre section will be a straight through, no silencer.

I have started a thread on the defender forum regarding the possibility of using a 90 300tdi system on a 200tdi engine. Maybe someone has already done this on their 90 and be able to say if there is a performance boost/dip.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=19146

I am interested to see what you plan to do on your build.

Sorry for all the tedious questions, and most likely to be many more, but i have to import all my bits. I cant just rush down the road for that missing part. Everything has to be thought out well in advance to reduce conversion time!

james.lw are you planning to use a td5 radiator or intercooler or both?

Whats your planned intercooler/rad setup?

Cheers.

My dad has got a coil space frame 88 that uses a LWT body, got a disco 200 on a series box. The box is in the correct place for a LWT. Turbo pipes are a bit tight but if its a leafer then you wont have the turret in the way.

Hi,

Any chance of a few pics under bonnet and outside?

Cheers.

Hi Guys,

What are you planning to do for an exhaust? I was planning on using a 200tdi 90 system as a starting point and cut and shut to fit. (Or possibly a 300 or td5 system!) The centre section will be a straight through, no silencer.

I have started a thread on the defender forum regarding the possibility of using a 90 300tdi system on a 200tdi engine. Maybe someone has already done this on their 90 and be able to say if there is a performance boost/dip.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=19146

I am interested to see what you plan to do on your build.

Sorry for all the tedious questions, and most likely to be many more, but i have to import all my bits. I cant just rush down the road for that missing part. Everything has to be thought out well in advance to reduce conversion time!

james.lw are you planning to use a td5 radiator or intercooler or both?

Whats your planned intercooler/rad setup?

Cheers.

Hi Monster

I replaced my V8 with a200 TDI out of a disco a few months ago, at first I used a 200 disco down pipe onto the V8 exhaust and it had no problems with power.....but the vibration was terible.

I now have a 200 down pipe to 300 center and rear, the 300 mounts made a huge diffrence to vibration.

I would use that type of exhaust hangars for that reason , I guess you will have to chop every pipe to make it fit anyway.

I havnt owned a lightweight for years now but still think they were the best thing Landrover made for looks and ability.

The military used to run them on swamp tyres, extended mud wings all round and the exhaust up past the windscreen on the pasangers side, quite a beast.

Hi Monster

I replaced my V8 with a200 TDI out of a disco a few months ago, at first I used a 200 disco down pipe onto the V8 exhaust and it had no problems with power.....but the vibration was terible.

I now have a 200 down pipe to 300 center and rear, the 300 mounts made a huge diffrence to vibration.

I would use that type of exhaust hangars for that reason , I guess you will have to chop every pipe to make it fit anyway.

I havnt owned a lightweight for years now but still think they were the best thing Landrover made for looks and ability.

The military used to run them on swamp tyres, extended mud wings all round and the exhaust up past the windscreen on the pasangers side, quite a beast.

Hi,

Sounds nice, any chance of a few pics of install? Underbonnet/Outside

Did you use the standard box or like these other guys, use the LT setup? How did you overcome the problem with the intercooler?

What was the difference in power like? I am removing my v8 purely due to economics, i like the noise and power!

Has the LR a different character now? Power level/delivery wise? Does it handle any different?

Do you have leafs or coils?

Look forward to your ideas/pics.

Thanks.

Hi Monster

Hi,

Sounds nice, any chance of a few pics of install? Underbonnet/Outside

Did you use the standard box or like these other guys, use the LT setup? How did you overcome the problem with the intercooler?

What was the difference in power like? I am removing my v8 purely due to economics, i like the noise and power!

Has the LR a different character now? Power level/delivery wise? Does it handle any different?

Do you have leafs or coils?

Look forward to your ideas/pics.

Thanks.

Hi

I should have said it was a 1999 carbed 3.5 V8 defender (TD5 style chassis) so a bit diffrent from what you are doing but I guess some problems are the same, I wrote it up with pic's and put it on here a while ago.

I am now used to changing gear a lot more often! and find that I now get 25mpg against 15ish on a long run with the v8.

Its not as good offroad but the increase in range is huge.

I have the v8 R380 box fitted with a 300tdi bell housing and a top hat bush in the fywheel to take up the diffrent shaft size.

I havnt got around the intercooler fit yet, I run the v8 rad and pipe from turbo straight to manifold, it runs well, I have a mild tweek to the fueling, (adjusted the starwheel a bit and a slight turn of the diaphram).

It puts a out a bit of smoke on hard exhelaration when cold but no smoke at full throttle.

I plan to fit a pajero intercooler in front of the rad but havn,t done that yet.

I did the conversion because of economics too as was burning a tank of fuel a day off road and hope I will now be able to get at least 2 days to a fill up.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
here are some pic of work

now ready for paint

did any one have some ideas for rock sliders pleaseeeeee :)

James.lw, MECCANO

Hi Guys,

How are the conversions coming on?? Interested in progress.

Any new pics or words of wisdom?

Cheers.

James.lw, MECCANO

Hi Guys,

How are the conversions coming on?? Interested in progress.

Any new pics or words of wisdom?

Cheers.

In 2 weeks time i will be back on the case. So far haven't done much due to work load/ nackered head on the 200.

So the 200 will be getting a 300tdi head, and then i can look at fitting it.

• 3 weeks later...
In 2 weeks time i will be back on the case. So far haven't done much due to work load/ nackered head on the 200.

So the 200 will be getting a 300tdi head, and then i can look at fitting it.

Hi Meccano, james lw.

Well the V8 auto is out and 200 5speed is on blocks in chassis!

A sad day but needs must.

A few questions on your build.

How did you guys come up with the position of your engine/gearbox?

Are you using the original engine mounts?

I am hoping to fit discovery rubber mounts and my engine was originally a V8 so i cant use these.

I am also in need of new gearbox mounts so i can pretty much put them wherever i want!

I would like to keep the engine as close to the bulkhead as possible so as to keep weight centralised and also i am planning to fit aTD5 intercooler so would like the extra space.

Unfortunately the position i have chosen is proving a problem with propshafts.

The front distance is too long for a defender, and the rear is too short for a standard 88. 720mm/520mm.

Is there any standard props of this length?

Meccano how much is a custom propshaft cost? Does this include propshaft or just the work?

Also any further on the head transplant? Is a 300 head a straight swap for a 200? Wouldnt you have to change injectors etc? Does this head have different timing or compression? Would be interesting to hear about your results.

Oh forgot to add i am running a Designa chassis so different to both of yours!

Look forward to your thoughts.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The inches are lost in the standard body's hips, nothing is lost above the waistline, so standard hard tops, truck cabs all bolt on without bother :)

Unfortunately not. A series 3 hardtop on a lightweight overhangs each side by about 1/2". This is cured by splitting the rear corners and taking a slither off the back panel, pushing it back together and pop rivetting it shut. But i imagine it will be harder on a truck cab as it's all curved and more complex i think (havent looked at it in detail yet)