Any experience changing propshaft UJs?

Hi there,

To get rid of the vibrations I decided to change the propshafts. Looked at the prices and decided to do change only the UJs.

Manual was clear:

7. Remove the circlips, and grease nipple.

8. Tap the yokes to eject the bearing cups.

9. Withdraw the bearing cups and spider and discard.

Well the point 7. was where it get wrong. I'm not sure how to interpret "tap", but in my case it was hammering it with 3 Kg hammer.

It took me like 4 hours to get one UJ out.

Simply I had to push the UJ throug to be able to remove the cup on the other side, but by the time that cup would go out, the one that I was pusshing went all the way in and the UJ was in some kind dead-lock position. It would not slip out with one cup on. And no way to push it back as the cup would not get it its housing from inside.

To put the new in and mount it together was matter if few minutes.

Can somebody tell me what I was doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Tomas

use a vice and a selection of sockets to push them out one side, but keep the UJ legs/spider in the cup on the other side (the side going in) then reverse and push 2nd cup out by small socket on the UJ spider.

dont push the first cup in too far, just enough to be able to get some pliers on the end of the cup to remove it and then you will prob be able to remover the spider and just knock the 2nd cup straight out.

Guest WALFY

Looking at the end of the spiders in the link by LES, I noticed that there was no groove to let the grease have free flow. I was shown by a very good friend of mine to use a thin cutting disk and put a very small groove across the top to allow the grease to move into the needles.

Maybe he was wrong but he worked for a very LR independant in Kent and since I've done that my UJs' seem tolast alot longer.

I'm not sure how to interpret "tap", but in my case it was hammering it with 3 Kg hammer.

Has anyone ever been able to get the caps out by "tapping" the yolks with a hammer? I keep seeing this method quoted in instruction books etc etc and I don't know anyone who's ever managed it :unsure:

I've been changing UJs for nearly 20 years on various vehicles I've owned and it's never worked -- always pushed the caps out with sockets.

Has anyone ever been able to get the caps out by "tapping" the yolks with a hammer? I keep seeing this method quoted in instruction books etc etc and I don't know anyone who's ever managed it :unsure:

I've been changing UJs for nearly 20 years on various vehicles I've owned and it's never worked -- always pushed the caps out with sockets.

I was shown for making p.t.o at work after u have pushed the uj back in to free it off to allow it to rotate freely u just give it a small tap with a hammer and it "sets" them in

I have on Range Rover props ... always using a dead blow rather than a steel hammer which makes a lot of difference. And it's not a 'tap', more of a 'gentle smack' ;)

I get fed up fiddling with sockets ... though a press rather than a vice would make me less fed up!

AndyG