235/70 Rubbing

I had been driving with a set of 235/70 amazon mud tyres on disco steels on my 90 for about 6 months or so and have had no problems but i have noticed that on full lock the drivers side wheel rubs on the front radius arm a fair bit as the radius arm is bear metal there, but on the other passenger side it has rubbed but not half as much as the drivers side.

the car has straight tracking and all. but just wondering why it is rubbing now, and why rub with such small tyres?

is it a question of buying spacers?

Steering end-stop adjustment.

It's a bolt on the swivel that contacts the inner swivel from memory. Tends to wear down wee bit if you keep hitting it.

Just wind the passenger side one out a smidge.

Useful pics Gromit!

Also, as mentioned elsewhere on the forum recently:

1. Don't forget they have locknuts on the other side.

2. If they are tight, give them penetrating oil and a few days rest.

3. Wind out the one on the opposite side to the rubbing.

TwoSheds

I had been driving with a set of 235/70 amazon mud tyres on disco steels on my 90 for about 6 months or so and have had no problems but i have noticed that on full lock the drivers side wheel rubs on the front radius arm a fair bit as the radius arm is bear metal there, but on the other passenger side it has rubbed but not half as much as the drivers side.

the car has straight tracking and all. but just wondering why it is rubbing now, and why rub with such small tyres?

is it a question of buying spacers?

Yeah as others have said just adjust the steering stops, remember the passenger stop affects the drivers side wheel and vice versa.

Another cause could be the pan hard rod, these are not adjustable but it's possible (or likely) that the axle is not 100% centred and sticks out a little to one side (even a faction of an inch will be enough to cause it to rub on one side more than the other). But this is not something to worry about.

If you want more steering lock then wider offset wheels (deep dish 8 spokes) or wheel spacers will give you a wider track and more clearance on the radius arms this will allow you to wind the steering stops in to gain extra lock.