Alternator

Guest dew110CSW

Guest dew110CSW

As part of my ongoing quest to make the 110 to my standard, I'm looking at fitting a Tacho to it in place of the existing ammeter. I've been told the Alternator has the correct ports but that's assuming my 110 has the factory Alternator on it, anyone got any descriptions / serial numbers so I can take a look, also what I'm looking for with this connection.

Cheers,

David.

As part of my ongoing quest to make the 110 to my standard, I'm looking at fitting a Tacho to it in place of the existing ammeter. I've been told the Alternator has the correct ports but that's assuming my 110 has the factory Alternator on it, anyone got any descriptions / serial numbers so I can take a look, also what I'm looking for with this connection.

Cheers,

David.

Not all alternators have the correct connection. Neither of the alternators that I have/had on my 90 had the connections. If the connector does not exist, you need to take the back off and add a connector to one of the three main leads coming out of the alternator before the rectifier.

Note that AFAIK, only VDO tachs will read from alternators. Most other brands are designed for petrol engines.

Here is a picture of one from my 2.5NA (Blue wire to tach), but they can be quite different.

tach.jpg

If its a standard LR 65A or 100A alt, there should be a W terminal for the tacho, it may be hidden under a rubber cover. Bosch alts tend to have a W term as standard as well. If not whip the back off and add a connection as shown above. If the rectifier pack is different just make a connection of any 1 of the 3 wires that come from the winding in the body of the alternator where they connect to the diodes.

Guest dew110CSW

Ok I had a good luck and off those pictures couldn't make head nor tail of it so here's some pics of it in the vehicle.

post-2159-1178477598_thumb.jpg

post-2159-1178477616_thumb.jpg

post-2159-1178477649_thumb.jpg

Ahhh so it does, Sorry!

And that looks like a 45A alt as it has a plug for the output, so it looks like a W term is standard fit on those as well, and as i said earlier, the W terminal often has a rubber cover on it.. :P