Possible to change V to serpentine (or Grooved)?

HoSS

Hi,

So, I'm just about to embark on fitting onboard air with an aircon pump.

My V8 currently has the V belt set up. But i'm concerned that i'm going to be putting too much load on the V belts.

I was just wondering if its possible / has anyone tried to convert over to serpentine or Flat belt set up without changing the front cover.

Is it possible? What would be involved.

Non EFI V8's used normal Vee belts for air con fitted vehicles.

Interesting - Anyone have a pic or diagram of that set-up ?

{edit} - Looking at RAVE i can't see a full picture, but its seems that if Aircon is fitted, the Altenator is on the pasenger side?, so i'm guessing the Aircon pump is then on the drivers? Does that need a double pulley on the PS pump?

i guess that also means the correct bracketry is available for the compressor....

haha - actually it s not that simple. I've just realised the pulley on the compressor cannot be changed easily since it incorporates the clutch.

anyone have a V belt pulley/clutch assy from a Sanden? perhaps on a knackered aircon compressor?

Otherwise i need to find a suitable flat belt pulley that i can bodge onto one of the existing ones....

I've run onboard air (sanden) on v-belt for over a year now with absolutely no problems, no hint of slipping or belt burning up, the pulley on the A/C is large diameter so plenty of contact with the v-belt. Load will depend on what pressure you're planning to run your air system at?

My pump is on drivers side, driven off a second pulley on the back of the waterpump pulley.

Got a compressor here (I think it's Sanden) with the double-V belt pulley and the mounting too - what am I bid?

To answer your question, later lumps had a vee-and-poly-vee crank pulley front end before they went to 100% serpentine.

Got a compressor here (I think it's Sanden) with the double-V belt pulley and the mounting too - what am I bid?

To answer your question, later lumps had a vee-and-poly-vee crank pulley front end before they went to 100% serpentine.

Thanks FF, but i put an ad in the classifieds - HonitonHobbit is sorting me out i think.

What mounting do you have ? the full casting (ERC7494)?

What mounting do you have ? the full casting (ERC7494)?

It could be, my parts book shows ETC5793 for the 3.5 or ETC5690 for the 3.9, no indication of the differences though :unsure: it's a big lump of Ali and it goes on the driver's side.

It could be, my parts book shows ETC5793 for the 3.5 or ETC5690 for the 3.9, no indication of the differences though :unsure: it's a big lump of Ali and it goes on the driver's side.

hmm my EPC gives the previous number. Yes i could be interested in that, i dont think HH's caboodle includes that. i will check.

what do you want for it?