No Future for Land Rover

ariane44

Guest WALFY

Ralph

I was thinking the same thing. A perk of freedom of press. Or just more euro trash ideas to get rid of anything English.

I spoke with a work colleague from Hereford and he seemed to think that the days of LR in his camp were numbered but wouldn't expand as to what they were playing with

I agree, when will they all learn that Land Rover is the Company & Range Rover,Discovery,Defender & Freelander are just vehicle model names, they are all Land Rovers.

I'm Sure Ford & Vauxhall wouldn't change their company name to a car model name [i.e. ford changing to focus]

probably unimogs or iveco vehicles with bigger payload limits.

just journo's filling pages that's all. I knew a guy who wrote for airgun and fishing mags in the early 90's. He freely admitted he would make stuff up about stalking down some bloody rabbits in a quarry just so he could fill the pages. When he ran dry of ideas he would look through back issues of old mags to "encourage" his imagination.

I think the correct term is "drivel".............

Jas

I agree, when will they all learn that Land Rover is the Company & Range Rover,Discovery,Defender & Freelander are just vehicle model names, they are all Land Rovers.

I'm Sure Ford & Vauxhall wouldn't change their company name to a car model name [i.e. ford changing to focus]

probably unimogs or iveco vehicles with bigger payload limits.

I agree, but I seem to remember something in the motoring press about badging Range Rovers as Range Rover rather than Land Rover at least for the US market.

Steve

The first part is a question not a statement, How many military forces and fleet commercial users around the world have abandoned LandRover in favor of the opposition? The answer could be relevant when hypothesizing about the Pretenders future.

Based on what I observe here in Australia, I dont think it has a future.For one it costs too much to build a vehicle with that bolt together meccano style construction these days, The current base vehicle with the structural integrety of a cardboard box and weak diffs/axles is less suited to the rough and tumble of commercial or military operations than the opposition, and the poor reputation for reliability has discouraged many fleet users from ever considering giving the marque another try.

A few year ago I thought Rag top and pickup variants of the Disco 1 and 2 with a couple of wheelbase choices would have been a good replacement for commercial and military users, but now I just cannot picture the Disco3 in those guises.

Bill.

The first part is a question not a statement, How many military forces and fleet commercial users around the world have abandoned LandRover in favor of the opposition? The answer could be relevant when hypothesizing about the Pretenders future.

Based on what I observe here in Australia, I dont think it has a future.For one it costs too much to build a vehicle with that bolt together meccano style construction these days, The current base vehicle with the structural integrety of a cardboard box and weak diffs/axles is less suited to the rough and tumble of commercial or military operations than the opposition, and the poor reputation for reliability has discouraged many fleet users from ever considering giving the marque another try.

A few year ago I thought Rag top and pickup variants of the Disco 1 and 2 with a couple of wheelbase choices would have been a good replacement for commercial and military users, but now I just cannot picture the Disco3 in those guises.

Bill.

Although, if you believe the rumours you hear, the US special forces are doing anything they can to get hold of Land Rovers as they love them.