Bulkhead rust, MOT...??

Hi,

My bulkhead has rusted above the fresh air vents, would this be a mot fail...??

My little Brother seems to think the bulkhead is also the fire wall so it must be complete...

Where as I argue the rust is above the engine bay, so I'm right cos I'm older than he is... and also haven't I found the time to replace the bulkhead as I had planned to long before it's next mot... 2x weeks and counting.... doh!

If he is correct... and I'll never hear the last of it....! does it have to be a metal repair or can it just be P38 as I will be replacing it in the near future...?

thanks

db

If the rust is within 30cm of the windscreen hinge or door hinge, then it should fail. Otherwise it would fail on sharp metal only. A fail due to corrosion HAS to be welded to maintain structural strength of the vehicle, so if you use filler, the tester will fail it again. A fail on sharp metal can pass if you fill it or just put tape over it - the tester must be able to pass his hand over the hole without feeling any sharpness.

Les.