BLOWN HEAD GASKET ?

foxminer

Following on from a previos post about oil in my cooling system, i`ve spent the entire day taking my cooling system apart and cleaning all hoses

and flushing the system and fitting a new thermostat.All fluids then ran clear i even managed to flush the oil out of the heater matrix.Now the bad news after a couple of short journeys and reflushing the system again it now smokes more than Dot Cotton on a bad day.Is this the sign of a blown head gasket. :o

Is it still worth treating it with IRONTITE.

Foxminer.

If the gasket has blown and you are burning oil, then the engine will chug - especially at lower revs. It'll generally feel gutless and speed will be down. Are you getting excessive crankcase pressure? Take the oil filler cap off the rocker cover and see if it behaves like a weak exhaust. Sometimes cracking each injector in turn while the engine is idling identifies a problem cylinder. Identify the smoke, is it oil or excessive fuel - you would be able to smell the difference.

Les.

If the gasket has blown and you are burning oil, then the engine will chug - especially at lower revs. It'll generally feel gutless and speed will be down. Are you getting excessive crankcase pressure? Take the oil filler cap off the rocker cover and see if it behaves like a weak exhaust. Sometimes cracking each injector in turn while the engine is idling identifies a problem cylinder. Identify the smoke, is it oil or excessive fuel - you would be able to smell the difference.

Les.

Hi Les, After days of flushing filling flushing i finally added a bottle of Irontite,but i think it was all in vain, it did appear to calm it down a little but i have given up on it at last. Looks like i`ll be looking for someone to do the head gasket or god forbid a new head. :unsure: A big thank to you and all contributors who helped me with my questions, i don`t mind having a little go at things myself but my experience is limited.Hopefully i will be able to help someone myself oneday.

Foxminer.