Wheels sticking outside the arches and the MOT

Over here the tyre tread must be covered by the arches/ wings,not necessarily the sidewalls. strange thing is that the standard Defenders with High Capacity pickup bodies don't meet this criterea when put to the plumb bob test because the tread protrudes slightly.

Bill.

AFAIK tyres are not allowed to protrude from the wheel arch at all.

Orange - that's what I thought, but the MOT man reckons it can be "3 inches or something like that... dunno mate" :huh:

Edited to add: I've now searched three online MOT guides and the VOSA / Direct.gov website about MOT's and nowhere does it mention tyres protruding :blink: could it be an SVA thing but not MOT? (In which case woo! :lol: )

I thought there was something about when viewed from above you shouldn't be able to see any tyre - it should be 'covered' by body/arch.

But I can't rmember if thats from the SVA or MOT or a dream I had after eating too much cheese...

Hell Fridge - if your tester doesn't know, whats the prob?

Measure your stickout then tell him its half an inch more than that.

Finished yet?

Al.

There was a thread about this not too long ago.

From what I remember it was that the tread has to be completely covered, but not the side wall. What happens if you have big side-lugs I don't know.

Looking at the wheel from the side, an angle of at least 90 degrees must be covered by the arch.

Si

I always thought that the wheel must not protrude beyond the body work at all while they are in the straight ahead position. I would imagine a bit of side wall would be ok - judging by the boy racers and what they have on their motors. Certainly no tread anyway.

Les.

from a top down view none of the road going surface of the tyre should be visible. however this is not an MOT issue but comes under the construction and uses act so it may well pass the test but Plod can have you and issue you with nasty fine for it after :huh:

Remember the pipers trucks

its not a mot failer to have tyres outside the archs (which is why these no refrance to it)

but it is illegal on the road (As far a PC Plod is cosurned)

work that one out. :huh:

I asked the MOT man about this and he can't remember(!) and the online MOT manual makes no mention of it - basically how far are wheels/tyres allowed to protrude past the wheel arch?

I've had some recent experience with this.

Technically there is nothing in the MOT that states the wheels have to be covered, so again technically they shouldn't fail it on this issue. However we all know that some MOT testers are either picky or total twats, so they might fail it regardless of whether they technically should or not.

However this is where it gets more complex, having the tyre sticking out past the arch is an offense under a particular traffic act (not sure which one). A couple of months ago I had a long chat with a senior traffic officer about it. They also checked with their superior to confirm that it is an offense. However if you vehicle passed the MOT like it then in most cases you'll just get a verbal warning asking you to either change the wheels or make the arches bigger.

As for how much can stick out, well I'm sure the traffic act does detail it, but I would guess in most instances it would be the interpretation or opinion of the Police officer concerned.

As for the MOT, if you are worried simply put on some smaller tyres, most guys have some or know someone with a 2nd set.

I think the safety side is paramount! The wheel arch is there to stop persons hitting the tyre/wheel and also to stop things flying off and hitting people. If you have tyre protruding from the arch and you go over a load of gravel/mud then there is likely to be debris flying all over the place.

This is highlighted by the 'rooster-tail' effect when driving through mud!! Some forumeers will know all about it.

I think it's more likely to be a Mr Plod thing than an MoT failure as you are not affecting the roadworthiness of the vehicle, as such, just the potential to cause harm to other road users!

I think the safety side is paramount! The wheel arch is there to stop persons hitting the tyre/wheel and also to stop things flying off and hitting people. If you have tyre protruding from the arch and you go over a load of gravel/mud then there is likely to be debris flying all over the place.

This is highlighted by the 'rooster-tail' effect when driving through mud!! Some forumeers will know all about it.

I think it's more likely to be a Mr Plod thing than an MoT failure as you are not affecting the roadworthiness of the vehicle, as such, just the potential to cause harm to other road users!

While this is all true I think the saftey thing is blown out of all proportion, I mean exactly how many fully gravel roads are there with footpaths and lots of pedestrians?

Also in the US where they are for the most part safety paranoid it's perfectly legal to have the tyres exceeding the body work.

Not too mention all the farm machinary and works vehicles in this country which also don't have the wheels covered.

Plus if you see any of the big monster-like trucks here in the UK which are road legal, all they do is add an arch on the body work, but there might be a 2 foot+ gap before the wheel, so it really wouldn't stop anything flying off the tyre anyhow.

Such as this, legal arches but would they really stop anything or simply make the truck not look as good as it could:

115874206574420.jpg

Here in DK you wouldn't get far with tyres sticking outside the arches. It's totally illegal, and you will be pulled over if it's directly visible. All of the wheel must be inside the arches when in straight-ahead position. It's the same thin in Sweden and Germany.

/tony

Quite frankly there are far more interesting ways for pedestrians to die with the 109 than a bit of pebble dashing :lol:

I will MOT it and worry about arches later, it's not going to do many road miles here till it gets back from Russia, and over there it will be traveling with a vehicular freak show so will be relatively sensible looking :lol:

If you are worried I have a 0.5m wide roll of thin rubber you can use as a arch matirial and some thin 1/2mm steel strap you can use for reinforcment to get you by as time is not on your side.

I have loads of it...Don't tell Andy that it's Rubber

it's not going to do many road miles here till it gets back from Russia, and over there it will be traveling with a vehicular freak show so will be relatively sensible looking :lol:

no question of that - when the Tr3s and Protos leave St Issacs it looks like Mad Max 3,

The only feds that were in the slightest concerned seemed to be the Germans they came over when we were sat in a layby, nice guys but was a little disconcerting initially

"zis is illegal, und zis is illegal, und zis und zat, und zis is totally illegal"

"but its legal in the UK"

"Oh, zats ok zen, zis is a cool looking car - can vee take pictures?"

Dutch, Estonians, Latvians, Lithuanians, Polish, Slovakian, Hungarians and Finnish cops just smile and stick thier thumbs up :)

the DPC in Russia dont give a monkeys - they only want speeding fines :)