Defender 2007

Hmmmm…………… I have both LR & Jeep …………….

Biggest issue with Jeep is the price and availability of spares ………. Also there seem to be set charges at the stealers for certain types of work ……..

We bought the KJ Cherokee 2.8 Ltd Auto almost new (2 months old) and in terms of spec per price / build quality it far exceeded any LR offering. To be honest the KJ has been ultra reliable and the only major failure in 75K has been an alternator clutch………however, on the flip side the stealer pricing for servicing etc is high, very high …………. £400+ for a 12K and £700+ for a 24K …………

After market parts are almost non existent as Jeep seem to hang on to the licensing arrangement ………… front & rear pads / discs are about the only commonly available parts as the OEM is ferodo. However, the KJ is a very standard layout and lends itself well to home servicing and repairs without the need of special tools / diagnostic equipment……….. foe a £24k service I can buy all the consumables (apart from oils) from the main stealers for less than £60 ………….

Would I have another …………. defiantly yes, although as with most large vehicles in this nanny state, the depreciation is a high penalty to pay……….

I’ve been in to see and test drive the new 90 and as usual I felt the customer treatment at the local LR stealer was poor to say the least :angry: …………however, the build quality of the new 90 seems to have improved considerably and it seemed an OK drive. The engine wasn’t overly responsive but then again I didn’t expect it to be………. 6 speed box is well smooth in comparison to any existing LR manual box. I guess if you look at the iconic value and compare the 90 in the market place, then the pricing seems about right. However, I would question the LR2 & LR3 pricing in the current environment.

:)

Ian

Out here in Dubai the jeeps are popular, but by all acounts they are as unreliable as the LRs if not worse.

LR went as far as introducing a new engine/gearbox combo, why did`nt they go that little bit further and offer front and rear diff locks as well, it would have at least gave the competition something to think about.

Out here the 100 series Cruiser rules the roost, but most of them never leave the road, the locals who really use their 4x4 usually ended up with a patrol, they are just so strong and reliable. As for the newer defenders its just a few die hards like myself and I am yet to see a RRS or D3 used in the desert in anger.

]

What are the rear seats in the new defender like? Are they usable?

Hell No! They are worse than ever now , The base is the same but the back supports are made thicker so the truck cab version we did the road test on an absolute night mare driving and worse as a passenger , You are a much taller chap than me Si and im 6,2 so I would definatly say you would suffer in a truck cab .

The CSW are a bit better because the bulk head behind the seats is missing and replaced by a strengthening bar , but the new dash layout is a bit imposing especialy on the knees , And I would imagine a very short person with the seat pulled right foward would struggle to see the centre dash controls as they would be sat level with them .

The bonnet looks odd at first but it was a short time before I was used to it , well that was until I opened it and Boy its put on hell of a lot of weight being made from Pressed steel .

The usual gaps in the bottom of the doors havent got any smaller , There is a horrible induction noise from the drivers side when the window is lowered , The in cab stowage has seemed to decrease also with the new dash, and there is a lot of wasted space on the new dash , where they could of put some neat little pockets in as the new transit has .

The usual LT230 stiff feather the clutch change is still there and the previous weak selection linkage has now got 3 times weaker with a poxy 5mm bar with plastic joints at the end .

The Throttle responce was Dissapointing and scary at the same time , you plant your foot firmly down and nothing happens for at least 1 second and then it takes off and when you release the pedal still nothing happens it keeps reving for a short while , and almost resulted in a front ender with the convoy car in front of us .

The anti stall device should be on an optional switch as slow hill descents are more controled , however we managed to slightly pull the low/high lever back enough to cancell the low box warning light on the dash which in turn cancelled out the anti stall device and hill decents were much more controllable.

I loved the 6 speed Getrag gearbox it had a 30% reduction in 1st gear and was very smooth and user freindly, and I think would work very well if one were to be fitted to a Tdi .

The power delivery was smooth but still lacking the bottom end grunt , The heater was another good point as were the stronger looking props .

Myself and Lardy had a cracking day and enjoyed the hospitality and activities that were laid on , Especialy the zip wire and absielling (well only one of us managed the absiel).

We did get it a bit muddy

post-1171-1178980774_thumb.jpg

post-1171-1178980826_thumb.jpg

post-1171-1178980862_thumb.jpg

I'll admit to once owning a Jeep - ok as a road car (apart from the fuel bills) rubbish off-road due to naff clearance compared to the Defender.

Even without chrome I think they look gay.

post-145-1178990951_thumb.jpg

In NZ

Defender $73 grand

Toyota 70 series 4.5V8 turbodiesel (430nm 1200 rpm) twin difflocks, aircon and snorkel $71 grand

Jeep wrangler 4 door rubicon twin difflocks etc petrol or diesel manual or auto $49 - $53 grand.

makes it tough to consider a new landy...

In NZ

Defender $73 grand

Toyota 70 series 4.5V8 turbodiesel (430nm 1200 rpm) twin difflocks, aircon and snorkel $71 grand

Jeep wrangler 4 door rubicon twin difflocks etc petrol or diesel manual or auto $49 - $53 grand.

makes it tough to consider a new landy...

With prices like that I can see your point....

With prices like that I can see your point....

and in the complete opposite of the UK, over here LR parts are hard to get, silly expensive and there are very few aftermarket sellers. Toyota & Nissan however have a huge aftermarket range available and general service parts can just about be had from the local butcher's shop. Unfortunately, Defenders are only really attractive to weirdos like Rick, Bill & me, who get some sort of sick pleasure out of their "idiosynchrasies". :lol::ph34r:

What have LR done about the fuel tank capacity in the new model?? One of the things that irks me most is that silly little tank on my Defender. Everytime I go anywhere I have to carry at least 2 jerry cans of fuel (plus 2 more of water) which eats in to the space in the back. The aftermarket tanks affect ground clearance too much, but the Toyosans all seem to fit 150 - 190 litre capacities OK without that problem.

Paul :)

and in the complete opposite of the UK, over here LR parts are hard to get, silly expensive and there are very few aftermarket sellers. Toyota & Nissan however have a huge aftermarket range available and general service parts can just about be had from the local butcher's shop. Unfortunately, Defenders are only really attractive to weirdos like Rick, Bill & me, who get some sort of sick pleasure out of their "idiosynchrasies". :lol::ph34r:

What have LR done about the fuel tank capacity in the new model?? One of the things that irks me most is that silly little tank on my Defender. Everytime I go anywhere I have to carry at least 2 jerry cans of fuel (plus 2 more of water) which eats in to the space in the back. The aftermarket tanks affect ground clearance too much, but the Toyosans all seem to fit 150 - 190 litre capacities OK without that problem.

Not sure if it would help or not, but the early Defenders/90's have the tank in the middle like a Series where as the latter Defnders (think about 50 Anniversary model for the UK) had the tank at the rear.

I know of two people who have added a rear tank using factory parts to their TDi's to double the fuel carrying ability.

Not sure if it would help or not, but the early Defenders/90's have the tank in the middle like a Series where as the latter Defnders (think about 50 Anniversary model for the UK) had the tank at the rear.

I know of two people who have added a rear tank using factory parts to their TDi's to double the fuel carrying ability.

That would be nice, but we don't have 90s out here, just 110s & 130s, so they all have the tank at the rear. With no history of 90s we can't even buy scap tanks to fit under the seat like a 90, so we can only get expensive aftermarket tanks. It's possible to fit the long range tanks and increase the rear main tank to 132 litres, add an extra 40 litre tank to the rear wheel arch, plus another 60 litre tank under the drivers seat which is all fabulous apart from the cost. :o What we really need though, is for LR to fit a decent 150 litre tank from the factory.