Exhaust modification

I bought my new "old" defender (1989 with 200tdi unit), and apart from all the knackered bits I didnt spot :angry: , the exhaust looks incredibly low at the rear box. I have seen defenders where the exhaust exits through the rear quater of the body work, so is this a matter of cranking up the angle grider and hacking it off and shoving it through, or is there a special 'back box'?

NB: I will be asking lots of questions in the coming months regards mods, so please be patient! :D

(hopefully my questions will also help others who feel too daft to ask......however, I am that daft! :blink:)

Good man. Replament rear boxes aren't much but there is room for adjustment with the angle grinder. White90 has modified his, as have several others, to exit through the rear side panel. Some have taken a lot more off and exit behind the passenger door. Try searching but with luck they will post up some pics. I've got other ideas for mine when the time comes. :ph34r:

Hi muddypluggy;

"I bought my new "old" defender (1989 with 200tdi unit),"

Good for you...........just what i'm looking for as well, an early 200 tdi 110 to get sent to Canada

I wish you good luck with it................... :)

Cheers,

I'm searching for all the mods to make this thing a decent off road machine whist keeping it for commuting to work and back! I am also looking to change the colour to Bonatti grey (tomb raider landy colour), but I suppose I should concentrate on getting it mechanically sound first!! <_<