wire wich rope

jameslwt

Does anyone know of anywhere in the Southampton sih area that can supply wire rope for my h14? Yeah, I know laods of people will say go plasma, but can't reaaly afford it at the mo - everything else keeps breaking all at once!

Got last one from pg winches, but I don't really want another 174ft cable, as it can be a PITA, and only just fitted on the drum (10mm cable). And the delivery costs are quite a lot, due to the weight. All I really want is a wire, and I will supply a hook to crimp on (Ihave 2 spares now after last weeks 'incident').

Cheers in advance for any help :D

James

try a wanted post in forums. Also places like David Bowyer, FirstFour Off Road, Devon 4x4 etc will have some going at a good price as they pull them off new winches to fit plasma on a regular basis.

Cheers

Steve

Ok well it is changing the topic slightly, You can say Plasma doesn't snap like steel, steel will recoil. Plasma drops. Yhat said thats not enough to sway me away from steel, when mine are inspected very regularly are in A1 condition and looked after. My winch is set up correctly and the cable is rated way above the maximum pull of the winch. so the overload will come in before the cable snaps. yep steel is heavy plasma is light but then again its also nuch more vuerable to a bit of glass on tin in the ground and having been using plasma at work commercially the last 3 months were heading back to steel all being well.

James look in the yellow pages under Lifting gear one of the companies under that herading should be able to supply yopu a steel cable. ours come from the local lifting engineeers,

Ok well it is changing the topic slightly, You can say Plasma doesn't snap like steel, steel will recoil. Plasma drops. Yhat said thats not enough to sway me away from steel, when mine are inspected very regularly are in A1 condition and looked after. My winch is set up correctly and the cable is rated way above the maximum pull of the winch. so the overload will come in before the cable snaps. yep steel is heavy plasma is light but then again its also nuch more vuerable to a bit of glass on tin in the ground and having been using plasma at work commercially the last 3 months were heading back to steel all being well.

Cheers for the reply.

I like the idea of plasma, but when having to buy a new bumper and winch it's a lot cheaper to stick with a steel winch line, which is what I think I'll do.

Also depends what you want to use it for. If you want to enter challenge events then plasma wins hands down.

Light, easy to handle, takes side pulls a lot better than wire, can leave it un spooled and throw it in a net on a bonnet between punches etc etc and much safer in use than wire.

Cheers

Steve

Also depends what you want to use it for. If you want to enter challenge events then plasma wins hands down.

Light, easy to handle, takes side pulls a lot better than wire, can leave it un spooled and throw it in a net on a bonnet between punches etc etc and much safer in use than wire.

Cheers

Steve

Yeah the aim would be to compete in Challenge events, but only compete no intent to try and win.

But I think you make some valid points. Is there a difference between plasma and dyaneema or however its spelt, or are they just branding?

But I think you make some valid points. Is there a difference between plasma and dyaneema or however its spelt, or are they just branding?

Variations on the same theme - different makes and colours but it's all high density poly whatsit just made in different factories and possibly the lay of the rope is different too. I use Dyneema which came from David Bowyers and I have no complaints and have yet to break it despite some serious loading on a few occasions. I do look after it though - its too expensive to treat badly!

Hi All,

It is really interesting that this subject continues to raise its head every few months on all the various forums.

There are significant differences in performance; characteristics wear rates and the ability to absorb shock loads in all the different types of synthetic lines available in the UK.

There are also significant differences in how the lines are made/constructed between Dyneema & Plasma in particular.

Plasma comes from a base stock of Honeywell Spectra, modified quite considerably by Puget Sound Ropes, finally becoming Plasma.

Dyneema is made in a different way, using different base stock.

A link to the technical specification site for Puget:-

http://www.thecortlandcompanies.com/psrope...lasma112006.pdf

Always available for technical guidance,

Regards,

Andy Thomlinson,

Ruftraks UK Limited.

Glasgow.

Does anyone know of anywhere in the Southampton sih area that can supply wire rope for my h14? Yeah, I know laods of people will say go plasma, but can't reaaly afford it at the mo - everything else keeps breaking all at once!

Got last one from pg winches, but I don't really want another 174ft cable, as it can be a PITA, and only just fitted on the drum (10mm cable). And the delivery costs are quite a lot, due to the weight. All I really want is a wire, and I will supply a hook to crimp on (Ihave 2 spares now after last weeks 'incident').

Cheers in advance for any help :D

James

James

I have a wire rope to sell.

It's off my yet to be fitted Superwinch EP12.5 (as supplied by David "God"yer) and is unused.

11mm x 26metre with heavy duty hook.

PM me if interested.

John

James

I have a wire rope to sell.

It's off my yet to be fitted Superwinch EP12.5 (as supplied by David "God"yer) and is unused.

11mm x 26metre with heavy duty hook.

PM me if interested.

John

Hi John

PM sent

cheers

James

Hi All,

It is really interesting that this subject continues to raise its head every few months on all the various forums.

There are significant differences in performance; characteristics wear rates and the ability to absorb shock loads in all the different types of synthetic lines available in the UK.

There are also significant differences in how the lines are made/constructed between Dyneema & Plasma in particular.

Plasma comes from a base stock of Honeywell Spectra, modified quite considerably by Puget Sound Ropes, finally becoming Plasma.

Dyneema is made in a different way, using different base stock.

A link to the technical specification site for Puget:-

http://www.thecortlandcompanies.com/psrope...lasma112006.pdf

Always available for technical guidance,

Regards,

Andy Thomlinson,

Ruftraks UK Limited.

Glasgow.

Andy,

Does it make any difference from the perspective of the user though? In other words would/should somebody choose one over the other for any particular winching application and is Dyneema better than plasma for one thing while plasma is better than dyneema for another. I'm not trying to start an argument, just curious as to any particular strengths/weaknesses of the different brands - not something I have seen discussed as far as I can remember. It would be interesting to see the sort of comparison that Ashcrofts have done on standard and aftermarket CV joints.